• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trip Planning, South to Olympia

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It looks like I will be crewing a delivery from Lake Union down to Olympia. We have two days to git'r'done, Nov 10/11.
Anything special we need to consider?
I realize that we may lose some time locking thru. My first look at the current table looks like some adverse flow at the Narrows...

General plan is to try to make it to TYC's Recip's Dock for Saturday night, unless that is too much to bite off for Sat.

All advice welcome.

Best,
Loren

hodo

Member III
Trip to Oly.

Loren, looks like if you lock out around 10 am , you will carry the flood to Tacoma. It will take about 5 hours, so you should get there as the slack is ending. The trip to Olympia looks like it might be a challenge, unless you can catch the start of the flood through the Narrows. At the wrong time, that can be a "No Gainer". Current is weaker along the shore. I will check my current guide and see which side is favorable on the flood. Gives us a call if you are arriving ,say, Friday. The Chocolate Factory is pretty close to Lake Union. I also have 1 bottle of Apple Pie kicking around somewhere. Seems like as good a reason as any to open it! Let us know your plans,
Harold & Jessie, s/v Mischief :devil: Maker

Dave Hussey

Member III
lake union to olympia

Hi Loren,
we made that trip from L. Union to Anderson Island. According to my log book, we departed the dock at 5:30 pm, and arrived at Des Moines dock at 12:30 AM...stayed the night there, then departed at 6:30 AM, and arrived at Anderson Island Oro Bay dock at 11:00. Olympia is an additional 3 to 4 hours from there. We can make 5 knots at full throttle and everyone rowing :egrin:
With the flow through the narrows in our favor I should add. We were flushed through the channel at 8.5 knots on GPS!

Richard Elliott

Member III
South to Olympia

You should have no problem, Loren. On Sun. , Nov. 11 the Narrows is at low slack at 1306. Therefore, you should be able to ride a flood all the way to Olympia. In any case, the tides during the day are Neap so the Max. current is only 1.8 to 2.1K.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Saturday wee got thru the locks by 11 or so and reached guest dock at TYC at about 5 pm. Great dinner at their clubhouse restaurant. (Our YC has recips there.)
Next day we left at about 7:20 am, did have to give up a couple of knots of speed going thru the Narrows, and still got to Olympia at about 2:20 pm.
We averaged, roughly, about 5 to 5.5 kt thru the water.

Best,
Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had southerly winds to 15 to 20, mostly on the nose, and motored all the way. Only light showers... by going south we missed the worst of the incoming low pressure stuff.
:)
Peak gust at our YC here yesterday was 45 mph, and I was there running the club's dredge all day. The noise of the John Deere inside covered the roar of the wind outside, until I shut 'er down for lunch break! :rolleyes:

Loren