• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

? about E23 forward storage compartments

austinmotion

The forward storage compartments over the v berth of my E23 are backed with an unattractive sticky material. From reading the original brochure it seems this sticky material likely held foam-backed naugahyde trim. It appears sometime over the last ~30 years this trim was pulled out. If I'm correct, the easiest fix would be to just pull this sticky material out. I'm assuming (after some goo be gone) this would leave white fiberglass-backed storage compartments like the main compartment. Otherwise I'd have to source matching trim pieces and stick them in. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Ivan

sleather

Sustaining Member
Replace in kind!

The easiest solution would be to redo it w/ a heavy vinyl or exterior carpet(loose fit). I can't imagine spending any amount of time in the cabin w/ GOOf-Off(Drain Bamage)!!!!!

I don't think you'd like what you find anyway!:( Mine's a '79 and I have to get the "contact cement" out(briefly) every year to glue up the white vinyl!

By the way did yours come w/ the "manual", I'm having mine copied for the archives.

Last edited:

austinmotion

The easiest solution would be to redo it w/ a heavy vinyl or exterior carpet(loose fit). I can't imagine spending any amount of time in the cabin w/ GOOf-Off(Drain Bamage)!!!!!

I don't think you'd like what you find anyway!:( Mine's a '79 and I have to get the "contact cement" out(briefly) every year to glue up the white vinyl!

By the way did yours come w/ the "manual", I'm having mine copied for the archives.

Thanks, I'm going to take a closer look at it this weekend. To redo it would you suggest removing the sticky backing material that is in there now, getting vinyl or carpet cut to the length and height of the compartment and just gluing them up?

Mine came with the original manual, a photocopied sales brochure, a winch manual and several pieces of collateral about options, standard equipment, etc. Should I scan everything and post them somewhere?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

You sure got that right...
We have used quite a bit of "Goof Off" to remove the sticky glue that Ericson used to secure the fabric ceilings in our boat. Nasty fumes, but it works. Use a stiff bristle bruch and throw 'em away as they glob up.
:p

We solved the ventilation problem by placing a box fan directly over the forepeak hatch opening. It was placed to move air (noisy, vast quantities!) upward (!) and out in a hurry. Worked quite well. Wouldn't quite suck the dew rag off my head, but close... :rolleyes:

Anywhere away from your self-created windstorm, get a serious respirator and change the filters often, if the area you are working on cannot develope enough air movement to protect you.
About the old sticky glue, it is unlikely that new adhesive will stick to it for very long, so removal is best, nasty job that it is!

One other thing, don't use carpet. It is heavy and attracts moisture. You can source some vinyl or some more modern hull liner woven fabric if you look around. Try Defender Indus, if you have no local uphostery material supplier to go to.

Loren

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Necessity is the "mother of invention"!

Loren, good idea! The fan works for some jobs, done that!
When I had to do extensive polyester FG work inside my old Cal 21, I used a "modified" mask system. A high-end rubber dust/fume mask w/ 1 filter removed and flexible plastic dryer hose attached to the deck vent. The mask had the valves in it so it was like being on SCUBA!
It would draw "thru the hose" rather than the filter because of the resistance.

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Goof Off

Goof off now comes in an aerosol can. I just used it on a construction job to remove construction adhesive and it was a huge improvement over the straight stuff. Spray quickly, let it sit for 5-10 minute, than go back in and tackle the job.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Mine came with the original manual, a photocopied sales brochure, a winch manual and several pieces of collateral about options, standard equipment, etc. Should I scan everything and post them somewhere?

I've got the manual thing covered(PO had "everything" in a 3 ring binder), You get your boat in shape and GO sailing! My seasons OVER!:boohoo:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Sticky vs Sticky and the winner is?

BEFORE you head down the GOOf Off road, get a roll of "good" Scotch Heavy Duty, All-Weather, Duct Tape(stickier than 3M) and apply it to the "gloooooooo" and then slowly pull it off!
I think(untried) you might be amazed at how much of the existing "stuff" you can remove, "before" resorting to solvents.
I always use DT as the first step in "crap" removal.