• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30-II outboard rudder

Ericson 30-II

Ahoy mates!

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am looking for the bushing that goes on the bottom of E30-II outboard rudder. The "rudder bushing", I'd call it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice that may be forthcoming.

Thanks,

Regards, Bregan.:egrin:

Mike T

Member I
30-II Lower Rudder bushing

Hello Bregan,

I do not believe this bushing would be an available parts shelf item. Are you missing the bushing, or do you have the old one as a sample?
I would have one machined up at a local tool and die shop, simple lathe turning project with shoulder and set screw. If you are missing the bushing, I can get some dimensions and pictures off of my Ericson 30-II.

Michael Tock
"Asgard" 1978 Ericson 30-II, Hull #3

Ericson 30-II

Bushing

Hey Mike T,

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, anything you can do to help me ID this thing or enable me to better describe it so I can get one made up as you suggested.

Mike I am not even sure what it is made of, if it's a nylon type part or metallic??

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate you.

Regards, Bregan:nerd:

Mike T

Member I
Ericson 30-II Lower Rudder Bushing

Hello Bregan, I was able to get down to the yard and take some pictures of the lower rudder mount and bushing and will attach them to this reply. The bushing or also known as a "flanged sleeve bearing" is made of bronze. The length over all is 1.750", the upper flange thickness is .500", with an outside dimension of 2.00" with a flat ground on one side. (see pic.) The inside dimension is the size of the lower rudder post, plus a couple of thousands for shaft clearance. This was around .850 on mine, you can measure your lower rudder post. The outside dia. of the bushing below the flange was machined to the inside dimension of the lower rudder mount, mine was 1.250". I did a quick search on McMaster.com and found one that was close, but the flange was not large enough, it did have a line drawing which may help. The part number was 7815K51.

Michael Tock
"Asgard" 1978 Ericson 30-II, Hull #3

Attachments

• Ericson 30-2 Rudder Bushing 005.jpg
    Ericson 30-2 Rudder Bushing 005.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Ericson 30-2 Rudder Bushing 004.jpg
    Ericson 30-2 Rudder Bushing 004.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 95

Ericson 30-II

Hey Mike

Wow, that is a big help Mike. Thanks for the kindness. Now I at least have an idea of what's next. The "flanged sleeve", I see is inserted from the top. How is it secured? Just a tight fit?

Thanks again, very much, for the help

Regards, Bregan:cool:

Ericson 30-II

Just noticed

I just got the fact that you mentioned a set screw in your first response. I would guess it goes in that hole in your picture on the left. Doh !!

Thanks again Mike

E30-II's Rule !

selaretus

Ericson 25+ Rudder Bushings?

Hi,

My 84 25+ is in need of rudder bushings or at least tightening up of the lateral free play. Any of you salts had any experience with this project?
Also need to replace the cutlass bearing and could use some guidance on how best to accomplish that little chore. Thanks!

Dirk
dirkflute@yahoo.com