• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

calling all 36C

Jon Libby

Member II
As proud new owners of our 36C #14 Kasidah, we look upon the following of Independence 31 owners with admiration. Their web site http://e31.no-ip.com/index.asp has a photo of every hull # and I’m sure a history of who the previous owners were. We even know that only one 31 had an Atomic 4 from the factory and who has what diesel engine now. And no hull #13 was made. (Again I own #14 albeit a different model) I know that this is a lot of work for someone (aka Glyn, Dave). I believe the 31 Independence is a mini version of the 36c. As I look for information on my 36C I am finding that Sid on and in “Paradise” is the biggest contributor of information from another 36C. But I’m really curious as to how many Ericson 36C’s are still floating. I am aware of about only 6.

I’m sure we would all love to see an accounting of where they are and what they are doing. Maybe if the present owners would all come forward and let this site know their whereabouts and start a history list here on this site. (HELP). I know I didn’t buy a white elephant because I’ve had this boat in conditions where others have turned back or not gone out. (It’s an Ericson thing I’m sure). Maybe too many of them have been neglected and or become backyard projects never to be seen again. Were they made so poorly? Or the opposite and they are all off in some far away land waiting for us to show up with ours. Now as a sailor I think that my wife and I are very self-sustaining, we find our own answers to our own problems and try to share them as best we can with other owners. I think maybe other 36C owners are the same,..so how can we help?

Last edited:

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Good idea

JON
Good idea. There was a guy from the great lakes area that tried to unite the 36c owners about 20 years ago. I think it was called something like The Worldwide Cruising 36 Association. It was after Ericson sold the mold of the 36c to company in Parris Cal. I think that company made about 12-15 boats in kits and finished boats and they were called the Worldwide Cruising 36. Scuttlebutt has it that they tried to make a 38 out of it and cut the mold. I wouldn't mind knowing what happened.
I have owned my 36c for almost 30 years, and you know you always look at other boats, so as you can I still love her, but I have always wondered what a 42c would be like.

Sid and Manuela
In and On "Paradise"
36c #51

Jon Libby

Member II
Sid,

Thanks for the reply. I thought I was was in some time warp. I know of one other 36c on lake Ontario in Port Credit, and 2 others on the west coast. Both of them had contacted Arline from other cruiser websites, and both had been bought after being raised form a sinking...... Hoses I'm pretty sure.
Anybody else know of any we'd appreciate a commit or contact me off line. I have some factory blueprints that came with my boat that are the real thing. Nothing on the strut Sid or I would have gotten them to you.

Thanks again everyone.

ragamuffin

Member II
There is one here in Chicago, Monroe Harbor, stored at Larsen marine where I bought my E27. Cool looking boat, black hull looks like a pirate ship. :egrin:

Lan

I think I know the black hull 36C. We slipped beside her in Racine, Wisconsin about 6 or 7 years ago. Named "Black Magic". Great looking boat. I was aboard her and it was lovely down below. A couple from Barrington, Illinois owned her. They were about to get out of boating for awhile and were thinking of selling the Ericson.

There is a real beauty with a red hull, also in Racine. It appears to be in bristol condition. It is still there.

At one time Racine must have been the center of the world for 36C's. There was a third one on the hard at a Racine marina up the Root River. I don't know if it is still there. I am going up there in a few weeks and I will check it out.

How come there is no information about the 31C on this site? Not even a mention. I went to the Indepedence 31 web site and they have an Ericson logo in their banner and list Seth as the go-to guy for questions about the 31C.

Lan E28

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If you go to the "Spec & Documents" section you will see 3 entries for the 31C. They are cool looking boats.

Sid

BOATBUMMS
they are everywhere

We saw one in Puerto Rico. Talked to the owner. He and is wife live aboard. It is the only Ketch left the name is "Far Out" There is another in the Leeward Islands I think Dominica, called "D D 2". They are truly a fine cruising boat since I have only owned mine for 30 years I might be prejudiced.

Keith Bozenda

36C In Chicago

HI Jon, I am the owner of the the black 36C in Chicago ex. Black Magic. Now named KEKOME She needs work, but with a new main and marginal head sails I've been putting lots of Lake Michigan miles on her. We enjoy the cockpit, I wish the previous owner did'nt paint ALL of the exterior teak black. sails well in 20 +knot winds I veiwed you website really like the bimini and dodger,my nav. table set-up differently and my icebox were your stove is located, boat make over no doubt. ther is one other 36C in Chicago been meaning to talk to that guy.

Russell Skinner

36c

Info. on my 1977, 36c. I sail Varuna out of Deltaville, VA, on the Chesapeake bay. She is hull number 49, next to last one? She has a teak interior not mahogany, no teak decks, a Universal 25xp diesel, and is generally in very good shape. This winter I'm replacing the original standing rigging and safety lines, getting a new roller furler and a new fully battened main sail. Also, mine has a fiberglass pan @ the floors ( I haven't seen this on others on the internet ) with inlayed teak sole that I'm going to replace this winter. Future projects are to install an autopilot in the steering compartment, install some solar panels and wind generator, upgrade to electronics, maybe refrigeration and new bimini and various canvas.

After all this is done, I hope to retire (fat chance comes to mind) and do alot of cruising

BTW- I had blisters only on the port side. They laid these up in two halves, so that makes some sense.

Jon Libby

Member II
Keith,

Yours is Hull # 24, right?
Have you tried to find out why the deck wood was painted. It is a fair amount of work but man it's the first thing everybody comments on where ever we go. (The Admiral is in charge of all of that,...and a lot more):egrin:
The dodger works great and has stood up to 30+kt winds. It provides a dry area large enough for a chart and the dogs. Also with a remote for the auto helm you can stay dry and out of the elements too. We spent a lot of time under the dodger on our way up the hudson in late April this spring.

Shoot me your e-mail of line if you would I'd, like more info on your boat for a record I hope to have for all to see. A photo for the records would be great too.

Is the other 36c in Chicago Equis?

Last edited:

Brass Dragon

Member II
I have recently purchased Brass Dragon, a 36C which had made her way from Michigan down to Green Cove Springs, Florida where I found her. I am now arranging transportation up to Seattle. There is also a sistership 36C in Green Cove Springs and another that I know of up here in Seattle, named Blue Jeans. I would really appreciate contacts with other 36C owners.

Keith Bozenda

Chicago 36C

fellow C36'ers, Jon I was told by the owner previous to the one I purchased the boat from "It would be easier to keep painting the teak black than to keep up the cetol". but harder to strip all is crap, believe my I know. Yes there is another C36 in Chicago I made brief contact with the owner- I think there are two owners of that boat. It is hard to find the time right now to talk to them since kids hockey season started. Oh, by the way a belt sander was used on the deck numerous times probably have about 1\4" of thickness left. I would like suggestions on where to get a good price on a new electrical panel AC&DC and teak lumber I would like to start the fore peak first. any suggestions out there? Keith Hull#24 KEKOME

</WMFILTERED>

Attachments

• Airshow1.jpg
    Airshow1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 320
  • Img0051b.jpg
    Img0051b.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Img0057b.jpg
    Img0057b.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 267

Jon Libby

Member II
Nice pictures

Keith,
NOW THAT'S what I'M TALKING BOUT! Very nice photos, thanks for sharing them with us. I'll use one for my list of 36c’s and reference your boat. If your wiring is anything like mine I understand your need to rewire. That is one of my big winter projects. Check out some photos in Sid's Blog. I plan on doing about the same thing by modifying the area of the present panel and under my nav station. I'll be in touch about my project. Take a look at the new Bluesea 360 panel; I'm doing my research on it now.

Ian Hay

Member I
36c

Hey
I am very rarely on this site but I too own an Ericson 36c. I bought her in NY from a guy that lived on her for a few years in the Caymans and brought her up to Toronto (where there is another 36c called Skylark or Sealark). My boat's name was "Peaceful Dove" but I changed it to "Afriki".
I left Toronto in Sept 05 and have cruised down to the Caribbean and out across the Pacific. I am presently in Auckland, NZ and will probably head up to Fiji in April.
Good luck with your search, I love the boat.
Ian

Sid

BOATBUMMS
On The Way

Ian
Our plan is to head our way down there in about a year. we are in Venezuela at this time doing a lot of face lift work. We left Calif in 1997. Do you have a log of your trip?
Sid and Manuela
In and On "PARADISE"
36C #51

Jon Libby

Member II
36c's

I've had a small crash of information and time, my computer was down for a while, where I had the new list of 36c's and present owners. ALSO we have been very busy. So now I have the computer and info back and I am still trying to make a Great Spread sheat of it all, and where do I put it? (Where are my teenage daughters to help?)(Oh they've grown up and moved on) Sid, Don't leave for the Pacific before we meet you on the east coast. Now with the info I've got back from 36c people I've been very lifted in my love for this boat. A LOT of them have gone FAR and have done a lot. The 36Cs have been a home for many, and carried us through waters that others have feared. So please Keep sending me info, Name, location, hull #, and a photo along with any other information that you would find helpfull in furthering the expansion of the 36C MOTHERBOAT. (My daughter helped me with this)

Ian Hay

Member I
Hi Sid
No I do not have a log of the trip unfortunately - never got around to it.
If you do head this way feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
Good luck with the refit, Ian

Sid

BOATBUMMS
Ian
Good to hear from you.We have a blog if you are interested
http://boatbumms.blogspot.com/
We will fly back to the states sometime this summer we are going to look up a lot of people and buy boat parts. take care.
Sid and Manuela in and on "Paradise"
36c #51