• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pedestal paint

Gary G

Member II
The pedestal on my E28+ is starting to show its age having accumulated nearly 25 years of scratches and dings. I'd like to paint it so it again looks a smooth glossy white. Can someon suggest the best type of paint to use? Spray or brush? Thanks in advance.

Gary

wurzner

Member III
Appliance Enamel from Home Depot

I used appliance enamel on my boom and it worked and looked great. I did, however, use a zinc chromate primer but it looked great 3 years after the fact.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Gary,
I am painting mine now, also. I am going with the brush & using WM one part polyurethane topsides paint (& their primer, also). I still need to apply a couple more coats, so the jury is still out on this. It does not look as smooth as a spray paint, that much is certain. I do think it is going to protect it well. Some others have used this paint for masts & booms, so I thought it must be OK for other aluminum components.

lbertran

Member III
Rustoleum

I used glossy white Rustoleum enamel from my local hardware store. Brushed it on the pedestal last year and it looked great then and still looks just as great now.

Gary G

Member II
Paint project

Tim,

The pictures of your mast look great. What kind of prep work (sanding, etching, primer) did you do? (My pedestal is in pretty good shape and I hadn't planned on sanding off all the paint down to bare metal.) Thanks.

Gary

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Gary, it is all in the prep. Take the time to remove all the paint. Cheap HD stripper(orange can) worked great on my mast. I then used Interluxe's recommendations of primers. One coat of the yellow 2 part zinc primer, 2 coats of the 2 part epoxy primer(wet sanded in between) and 2 coats of perfection(wet sanded in between). The mast and boom was a huge job but I am so glad I took my time and did it right. The key to rolling and tipping is thinning the paint properly. I can give you some tips when you get to that point.

I also have the outline of a tech article that I hope to finish before year end.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Paint project.

Tim & Gary, FYI, years ago I saw a neat trick employed with the use of stripper on an old Catalina 30 aluminum mast in the yard beside my boat. This gal applied stripper 3 to 4 feet at a time on the mast, put down her brush and immediately followed up with Saran wrap spiraled around it, covering the stripper and keeping it from drying out. She repeated this until the entier mast was covered and wrapped. At that point she left the yard and returned the next morning to remove the wrap. The paint virtually fell off the mast in large sheets as she unrapped it leaving only a slight bit she needed to work at. Most of that part of the process was used in cleaning up the mess and the wrap. It was pretty cool to watch. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have heard that one Glyn. In fact most of the commercial type marine strippers have you cover them to be more effective. Another important technique is to brush it on in a single stroke and not brush back and forth.