• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hoses And logo

Desiderata

Member II
During bottom painting project of our '78 E-27, we replaced all thru hulls and seacocks.($$!) Now it's time to replumb head and several other hoses. we are also planning to add a soft water tank up under the v berth to existing hard water tank (15 gal). Rinsing holding and water tanks. I did'nt notice removing old hoses (those big white ones) to be too difficult as i generally split the end and pulled them off. BUT, upon trying to replace them, HOO! they won't go on! Some of our cohorts here at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron suggested warming the hoses with a hair blow dryer, others suggested soaking hoses in hot water. The hair dryer helped with raw water to sea cock intake with a squirt of WD 40 for good measure, but theses white ones are stuborn as all getout. Whats more, we'd like to put a T under V-berth to direct water to new tank (or old one, depending) making for a tight and precarious work area. Do i soak the hoses and race to put them on without burning my hands? What if one end cooperates and the other cools before being connected?
Also, while on the hard, I buffed the freeboard of my 27 and was amazed at how well the 30 yr old gelcoat came back. As a teen "body man" back in the 70's I never met a door edge I couldn't burn-but gellcoat endures guys like me incredibly well. Durn thing looks new. Also painted a fresh boot stripe and repainted the gunnel stripe too. For finishing touch, ("finish" being a relative term...) would like to replace Ericson logos near transom. i've tried downloading designs from this site that other members have posted to have made by vinyl co, but can't seem to get it to work. any help?
Mike & Cheri McNulty

Guy Stevens

brian at the sign zone

www.thesignzone.com has the files, and can cut them for you out of any vinyl color that you would like.

He has cut several for me for several different boats.

Thanks,
Guy
:)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have dealt with those hoses many times Mike. The best way is to boil water and soak the ends for a few minutes. You will be able to feel them get nice and soft. You don't want them too soft as they will crush instead of slide onto the barb. Cut a scrap and plactice off the boat.

chtaylor

Member II
Logos

I just got a set of logos from John Gleadle of Canada who is a member of this site. They came out great and were reasonably priced.

Charles Taylor

P.S. John, if you see this post, I apologize for the delay in sending payment. It's now on the way. :oops:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Logos

Guy & Charles, We have to figure out how to store this data.
This subject came up @ length a couple of months ago.

Links Center????

u079721

Contributing Partner
K-Y Jelly!

Don't forget the K-Y jelly - seriously. It's the best thing I've found to help mount hoses on barbs. It's water based, so there is no concern about the material reacting with any rubber in the hose. Beyond that I too have found boiling in water the best way to soften hoses.

spencer

Member II
an old plumbers trick to get hoses to fit is to hit the hose for a few seconds with the flame of a benzamatic torch. Be careful not to leave the hose in contact with the flame too long or it will ruin the end of the hose. Good luck on your project. One of these days I will be doing the same on my boat,

rgoff

Member III
I think there are also special fittings that make it easier for the hose to go over them (made I'm sure by the hose mfgr for extra income :) ).