• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pedestal Guard

treilley

Sustaining Partner
This is a project I would like to tackle eventually and I would go with the 1.25" tubing but I cannot find a good source for 1.25" rail fittings.

WBurgner

Member III
Rail Mounted

I am pretty well along in the conversion to 1.25" pedestal guard. Weather, holidays, waiting for parts... you know how it goes. Anyway I fabricated a new mount from Starboard that is working quite well.

People have been asking about sources for 1.25". Snap-it has many of the items we might be looking for to hold accessories at the pedestal guard. Their link is: http://www.snapitmarine.com/html/sail_boats.html

Bill Burgner
E381 Totem

Maine Sail

Member III
Sorry so late to the party..

Hi All,

I just saw this thread and wanted to offer an option. You can order any pedestal guard you want and then trace your existing YS top plate on a piece of Starboard but when it comes time to make and drill your hole centers make them the new width of the Ocean Equipment guard. You will need to re-mount the guard feet but making a new top plate is simple as pie. I made mine into a port & stbd table with dual nav pods. The possibilities are limitless. Here are a few photos:

Before:
83339720.jpg

After:
83336531.jpg

83336519.jpg

WBurgner

Member III
Great work

You did a good job. It was the inspiration for me to tackle a Starboard bracket for my application. I will post some photos when done.

WBurgner

Member III
Done

It took a while, but the new pedestal, pod and electronics are complete.

I went with a new 1.25 double-bend pedestal, new fabricated bracket of starboard, and the C80 Navpod to match the existing ST60 Navpod. Fabricating the bracket was easy and only minor removal of non-skid on the cockpit floor was needed to mount the pedestal. Installing the radar mast and running all the cables was the most time consuming.

Now for the rudder sensor.

Attachments

• Finished Pedestal.jpg
    Finished Pedestal.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 205
  • Finished Pedestal Instruments 2.jpg
    Finished Pedestal Instruments 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 210

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Looks great Bill. Can you post some detailed photos of the pedestal base and guard base?

Thanks

WBurgner

Member III
Photos

Here are a few. Not sure of just what you wold like, but if you would be specific I will be happy to take them next weekend when I am back at the boat.

Attachments

• Pedestal Bracket.jpg
    Pedestal Bracket.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 147
  • Guard Repl02.jpg
    Guard Repl02.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Guard Repl03.jpg
    Guard Repl03.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 190

crznhwy1

Member II
Starboard bracket

I am continuing a question I started in what I'm sure is the wrong forum. Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I have a YS pedestal with no guard and no bracket. I am trying to decide if I should fabricate a bracket out of Starboard or aluminum so I can install a guard. I am a big guy, and having never worked with Starboard, am concerned about it's strength. If I were to take a spill and had to grab the guard to support myself, would it be strong enough not to break? Would I be better of with aluminum? Opinions would be appreciated.

Mike

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Top Plate material

Bill Burgners' photos are showing an existing aluminum top plate and his new "starboard" top plate. You should note the extra perimeter width hes' included in his design where the pedestal guard passes thru.
I have not worked with "starboard" either but it appears reasonable to me that having something like an inch of material for shear load is Ok.
The Deck sockets include set screws to lock down the bottom of the Guard so it's not going to be inclined to fold.
I'd say, Go for it!

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
Holding up very well

Mike,
It has been a year now and the installation shown above has proved to be very solid. You will notice that there is not a great distance between the guard and the pedestal itself and the Starboard is nearly twice as thick as the aluminum it replaced. In Maine Sails application the width of the Starboard platform was greater and he had more overhang so he added tubular support underneath. I am sure he has found his arrangement to have held up very well also.

I recommend you give the Starboard a try. I found it easy to work with using standard wood working tools.