• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Puget Sound: South: Colvos Passage?

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Summary:

I'm wondering if anyone takes this route (north) out of Tacoma or do they stick to the shipping lanes.

West side of Vashon (vs. East).

Features:

I've read that the current runs north regardless of ebb or flood tide.

Issues:

I'm wondering what issues there might be involved with taking this route north out of Tacoma vs the shipping lanes to the east of Vashon... Any comments in general would be great. I'm (obviously) a newb to sailing and boating in general, so let me have it...

Thanks,

sleather

Sustaining Member
Times a'wastin

Matt, You don't mess around, outbound already?
It always helps to have 1 reply to get-r-going
Be safe!!!!!

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Diving in

Lol, I plan on having some help (hopefully experienced) for this one, but I did want to get some opinions. The boat is in Tacoma and I have to get it to Everett somehow... It'll be a long first voyage (I'm thinking at least 10 hrs depending on tides, wind, etc...). I may break it up into two days if I have the time.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Sign me up

Matt, I'd "sign on" for the price of a plane ticket!!!!:egrin:

You may likely find some eager hands "here", hint/hint!!!!

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Enjoy

It is slow going through the Tacoma Narrows. I went up through the west side of Vashon and the shipping traffic was not to bad but I believe I motored while down that far South. The winds are finicky down there. Out in front to the city North to Everett you should have some good wind in your sheets but you maybe beating.
KJ

hodo

Member III
Hi Matt, I prefer the Colvos passage over the east channel. The current is almost always northerly. It is a very picturesque way to go. Once in a while you might see a small tug and barge , but usually just other cruisers and fishermen. Dont cut the points too close and you will be fine. A stop at Blake Island will shorten the trip to Everett about 3 hours, and is a good place to go this time of year. Where are you moored in Tacoma? I'm at Chinnok Landing. When are you going? What have you got for sails? have you done a "Shakedown" yet? Shilshole is about 5 hours from Tacoma, depending on boat speed. You shouldn't Have any problems making that trip. If you wait for a southerly, it could be a blast, and you could reach all the way. Unless you have a spinnaker,that you want to fly. Keep us posted.
Harold S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

obiwanrazzy

Member II
good questions

Hi Matt, I prefer the Colvos passage over the east channel. The current is almost always northerly. It is a very picturesque way to go. Once in a while you might see a small tug and barge , but usually just other cruisers and fishermen. Dont cut the points too close and you will be fine. A stop at Blake Island will shorten the trip to Everett about 3 hours, and is a good place to go this time of year. Where are you moored in Tacoma? I'm at Chinnok Landing. When are you going? What have you got for sails? have you done a "Shakedown" yet? Shilshole is about 5 hours from Tacoma, depending on boat speed. You shouldn't Have any problems making that trip. If you wait for a southerly, it could be a blast, and you could reach all the way. Unless you have a spinnaker,that you want to fly. Keep us posted.
Harold S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Hey Harold,

Stardust is moored at Foss harbor. I haven't taken possesion yet (survey tomorrow, then I have to wait for the owner to get back from vacation), so no shakedown yet. I most likely won't be able to bring her up until mid-November at least, so... :confused: We'll see. It's gettng late in the season for a newby sailor.

She has a 135% Genoa (and a wisker pole), storm jib and what I think may be the original main (one reef point). Then, of course, there's always the iron sail (Atomic 4).

Some friends that may be helping me with this have their ketch at Elliot bay, so that may be a likely stayover if I break it up into two days. I do like the idea of Blake Island, 'tho... But hmmm, did I mention that I don't have cabin heat?

Jim Ewell

I went from Olympia to Seattle a few years ago in our E27. One time we went thru Colvos Passage, the other time stayed East of Vashon. Much preferred the Colvos route. Quicker, prettier and less traffic. Be sure to check tides thru the Narrows. Going against the tide can be very slow! We really like staying at Bell Harbor Marina in downtown Seattle. If it's full Elliot Bay Marina always has slips. Last year we bought an E35 and made same trip. Motored most of the way but would still recommend Colvos. Probably knocks 1Hr plus off trip.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Greetings -

The west passage is the local's preferance when heading north - and it indeed always flow north. There is a traffic lane through there - and at times you will see small/medium ships cutting through - so you have to keep your eyes open. However, that said, the shorelines are closer together, and the trip north goes much quicker than going the east route... At night it's also very pleasant...

//sse

wurzner

Member III
Matt,

Sounds like the survey went well...good going. Based on the time of year you plan on bringing the boat up...I would round up a few experianced sailors and go for it. It looks like it is around 50 miles and based on the time of year you are looking at, you should be able to hoist a spinnaker and go for it! If you dont have a spinnaker, your 135 on a whisker pole or spinnaker pole will work as well and you could do this in a long day...two days very comfortably!

Catching 25 out of the south is pretty easy to catch and will make for a screaming ride home. Also, you can pick up a Mr-Heater-Portable-MH9B heater for around 90 bucks and bulkhead mount it...it will do a nice job heating up your boat for a reasonable price.

Good luck!

SHAUN

sleather

Sustaining Member
Also, you can pick up a Mr-Heater-Portable-MH9B heater for around 90 bucks and bulkhead mount it...it will do a nice job heating up your boat for a reasonable price.

It's Mr. Heater again(same one I have), good solution. We used one in a 10x14 wall tent @ 35*, made life a lot more comfortable. Should WOOP in your boat. I purchased a CO detector to go w/ it. Cheap insurance!!!(it never went off in the tent) but I had to be sure as we had our 3 best buds(ARF-ARF) sleeping on the floor!

As long as you get "some" ventilation it should be OK.

Last edited:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Colvos Passage

I nearly always use Colvos Passage for Olympia to Seattle transits, but isn't it much longer from Tacoma than taking the East passage? From Tacoma to the SW end of VashonIs. seems a long way out of the way.

GHarbor10

Colvos Pass

Colvos is the preferred route between the South Sound and Seattle. Time it so you leave right as the tide turns to an ebb and gain 2-4 knots of current advantage. It should take you 2.0 hours from Pt. Defiance to Blake Island - a great place to stop and have lunch.

The scenery, wildlife, waves and sightseeing is much better in Colvos.

But if you decide to take East Pass, don't be too concerned about commercial traffic. It's not like it is a freeway of ships.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Well, just eyeballing it, it looks a little longer. I'm not sure it's much, but at this point I think I'll go this way just for the scenery and relative peace from shipping traffic.. I dunno.

Take a look. This is off of marineplanner.com

[URL="http://map.marineplanner.com/r.cfm?u=obiwanrazzy%40gmail%2Ecom&r=6"]http://map.marineplanner.com/r.cfm?u=obiwanrazzy%40gmail%2Ecom&r=6[/URL]

Actually, I've heard that Calvos flows to the north all the time - regardless of tide. It's a much nicer route than to the east - smaller (but deep) and you pop right out at Blake Island - it's highly reccommended - and worth the time from Tacoma (I was in the Thea Foss Waterway - and always took Calvos north).

//sse

hodo

Member III
Colvos trip

Matt, how did your trip north go? Have you done it yet? I went up Colvos last thursday, hit 9.4 knts over the bottom. started at 6 knts at the end of Vashon.
Harold

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Sorry for the late reply.

I took her up from Tacoma to Everett last fall (November). It was a cold, wet and foggy trip for the most part. Had a little sun and wind towards the end of the first day near Elliot bay. Overnighted in Ballard, then a cold motor up to Everett the following day.

Colvos was quiet and pretty (what i could see through the fog).

I've had her out up here near Everett for a few day sails, but that's it so far. We just went up to Langley on Whidbey Island yesterday... Nice breeze in the morning. Skies cleared for the afternoon trip back, but not much for wind.

Andrew Means

Member III
Coming in pretty late to this conversation, but +1 to just about everything that's been said about Colvos. It's picturesque, relatively calm, a great passage to tack up/down - last time I went to Gig Harbor from Seattle I went through it both ways - the wind was great, every 10-15 minutes a crisp (or not so crisp) tack, get the sails set and read till the next one.

Andrew Means

Member III
Another vote for Colvos Passage - it's beautiful, and tacking up/down it makes for these perfect tacks - set the sails, read a couple pages, sip on a beer, tack, repeat.

Blake Island is great as well.