• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 Interior Mast Shroud

Steve

Member III
My interior mast shroud originates at the cabin top then terminates aft of the mast base. There is an opening on the port side of the mast about 3/4 up from the step that confuses us. Could this be where the OEM shroud channeled then terminated internally in the step rather the externally. It would certainly free up space and structurally be equivalent Perhaps the current set-up is for ease of mast stepping since the yard likes this rip-off storage method. Any thoughts???

Attachments

• pic00015.jpg
    pic00015.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 263

Steve

Member III
Addtional mast pic

Here is the view of the step area

Attachments

• pic00013.jpg
    pic00013.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 256

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You guessed right the first time. Perhaps someone made a running change on the production line and moved the strong point down to the base. I see no engineering-related reason to do this. The purpose is to hold down the cabin roof against the upward pull of the halyards that turn 90 deg. at the collar bolted down around the mast hole. The force from the shrouds tends to try and compress the boat and raise the roof a little bit, also.
:cool:

The way you have it now is the way it exists in the Valiant 40 and some other big boats with keel-stepped spars, afaik.
My '88 Olson has a short piece of rigging wire with a turnbuckle that goes to the opening on the mast with the T-ball socket. (Like the one in your photo.)
No matter where you put that wire, you always need some way to keep the cabin top solid. Some other sparmakers have a collar incorporating a bolt thru the spar for this purpose.

As far as un-stepping, I see no advantage either way. With the T-ball method higher up, you just mark the threads on the turnbuckle and unscrew it until you can pull the pin at the top and then rotate it and disengage it from the spar. I just did that when the rig was out of our boat this summer. It took a few minutes. (Taking the genny, the rod vang, and the boom off.... took me quite a bit longer...).
OTOH, everything I could take off or properly prepare reduces the yard time involved @ $65./hour...
:)

Loren in Portland, OR
1988 Olson 34

Ray Rhode

Member III
Your setup is identical to my E35-III except for two things. I do not have the opening in the mast and your cabin sole looks much better than mine. I'm jealous

Ray

garykline

I have the exact same set up for the interior mast shroud on my 1986 E35-3. I do not have the opening on the mast. My guess is that the boat was built that way.

Gary