• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Easy Sides (almost premade from the store)

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I try really hard to not use too much cooking gas (we have CNG, but propane is no different). We've found the Uncle Ben's rice packets that are meant to be microwaved work really good in a skillet or small pot. 2 mins with a couple of tablespoons of water. The foil packet mashed potatoes are good too. THese don't take as much gas or time as more traditional cooking methods and can be stored on the boat for a whole season (I stock up once or twice per year.)

Can't say the same for pre-cooked bacon and sausages, but thought I'd share in case you hadn't tried these yet.

Chris

sleather

Sustaining Member
Uncle Benny to the rescue! I will try it, thanks. I use U.B.'s Long Grain & Wild Rice-Original for "game" dishes, so I trust the Unc.

IMHO They have not yet found a way to preserve any meat product,
athough I do enjoy canned "corned beef hash" w/ my eggs.

I picked up a JETBOIL camping stove(for small jobs on a small boat) and am really impressed w/ it's SPEED. www.jetboil.com

Last edited:

obiwanrazzy

Member II
Corned beef in a can

Steve,

Boy we ARE from the same hometown!

My wife cooks up the canned corn beef with onion and tomato. Serve with some rice and baked beens... Heaven.. Not sure I'd try it on a boat however. It would permiate the cabin.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Matt, MMMMMMM-CBH & eggs, Mary Kitchen/Hormel not the other stuff.
-------and what is wrong w/ a lingering aroma??

You site surfin' today???

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Canned Corn Beef AKA Alpo

Sorry guys, I just cant get by the activity of unloading a can of "ccb". I had a small dog that ate Alpo dog food and ccb has always reminded me of it. Im sure it is good, but just not for me. So maybe its a Madison thing, but not Wisconsin. Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
everybody always looks at me like I'm nuts when I put a 2 or a 3 in front of "Corn Beef Hash" in the can food section on the provision list when we charter in the islands... but they all eat it when I make it some morning after too much rum:egrin:
Chris

Emerald

Chris,

I am roaring as I read about your requirement for corn beef hash on the provisioning list. It is an absolute must on mine as well, as important as the rum even. My wife just doesn't get it. Especially when I insist it can't be the generic stuff either. The other thing I bet you can appreciate with our common DELMARVA proximity (we kept our boat on the Eastern Shore growing up) is scrapple. MMmmmm! Nothin' like fresh scrapple and corn beef hash and thick coffee on a nice morning tucked in a cove. :egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Poor Rob, doesn't know what he's missing. You have to get beyond the visual stimuli. Always wondered what Alpo tastes like?
At least now we know it's not a regional thing!

Chris, Gosh, I'm sorry for stealing your thread :rolleyes:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Chris, Gosh, I'm sorry for stealing your thread :rolleyes:

No worries- I really hope the recipe section gets used more... I'm always looking for new stuff to try. I'm not brave enough for Guy's beans... My wife might never speak to me again:)
Chris