• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23 Mast Box/Centerboard

sleather

Sustaining Member
An interesting thing happened a little over 6 weeks ago. I was returning from a sail, approaching the channel(4') so I went to raise the board and ended up w/ a bunch of line laying on the cabin top! The centerboard line (long neglected) had failed inside the mast box. Fortunately there were two of us on board and it wasn't real windy, so we were able to get the board up by working a line(sling) under the boat w/ some judicious grounding thrown in.

Heads Up, When yours is on the trailer take a mental note as to where the end of your board is in relation to the topsides. It took a while to figure out how far back to go w/ the "sling" before it slipped off the end!

The repair & upgrade required removing the "mast base" to allow for a well anchored additional "block strap". The additional mechanical advantage should be enough to raise the board by hand. I reused the stock block(above) & added a "harken" double @ the pendant. By the way it's real cozy in there. While your @ it enlarge & chamfer the hole thru the deck, as that's what wore out the line(years w/ the board up @ my pier)

I decided to open up the box to monitor the "goings on" and to be able to jury rig something for any future event. I think it looks kind of "techy"

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited: