• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help replace my mainsail...

Howard Keiper

Well, it was a bright, warm, calm (for SF Bay) day yesterday. We'd just come back from a brief excursion to pt. Bonita...the Chardonay was excellent, did a leisurely jibe, and watched in amazement as the main ripped in two, about halfway up....no sweat, no strain, just a tear we could watch progress from the leech across to the luff.
It was an old sail...a Neil Pryde...served us well, but now needs to be replaced.

Question is, any consensus on a replacement??

Many thanks..

Howard Keiper
Sea Quest, E-35 II, #274
Berkeley

Whatever you get, they make them so much better these days. You'll be amazed. And delighted. I'm a racer/cruiser and I went with Dacron. Lasts forever. Local Quantum loft did mine here in Florida.
Morgan Stinemetz

sleather

Sustaining Member
What Morgan said! I've got a 12 year old North(full batten)Dacron, and It still looks good. Neil Pryde(my "stock" main) is a "so-so" loft and you'll be HAPPY w/ any higher end sailmaker. Good time to "evaluate" your reef points. Enjoy, nothing like some "fresh" horsepower, and you will notice it.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Many of the large sail lofts (eg. North Sails, Lee Sails,) have many of their sails made in India, China or elsewhere offshore. Has anyone noticed any change in quality or workmanship as a result--better or worse--for the cost, over the last few years. Should that be a factor in the purchase decision, either pro or con?
Frank.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many of the large sail lofts (eg. North Sails, Lee Sails,) have many of their sails made in India, China or elsewhere offshore. Has anyone noticed any change in quality or workmanship as a result--better or worse--for the cost, over the last few years. Should that be a factor in the purchase decision, either pro or con?
Frank.

And... Mexico and Hong Kong... and other places...

My UKSails were built in their HK loft and after several years look like new. We do not put too many miles on them per year, though.

Construction source is neither pro or con, to me. Local loft communication, service, and followup is still the key -- and both are excellent here in the NW.
I should point out that our local North loft is very well regarded, also.

Now is the fall discount season for all sail makers, too. So get your RFP out to several of 'em! :)

LB in PDX

sleather

Sustaining Member
Offshore MFG.

Good points, my North main & 2 jibs were "hand made" in a "little ol'" loft in Pewaukee, Wi.(no longer) right next to Harken, who is STILL there.

Many of the discounts go thru Jan-Feb. I'm looking @ a new Chute.

Last edited:

TwistedLogic

Member II
I just replaced the original 1977 main with a North racing main. They did haggle on price by the way, and ended up real close to the 2nd tier lofts. I could not believe the performance change, especially when close hauled. I finally felt the boat find the slot.
Good luck.

Howard Keiper

Thank you all for your information...Dacron, it is.

I found a used main at Minney's...Dacron, of course, "in very good condition", made by UK sails. Don't know how old it is (yet) but I'm assured by Minney's that the rating of 'very good' really does mean that it is. Minney's enjoys an excellent reputation here on the left coast; so, for a mere $495 + s&h, I should have a very good replacement. Now all I need to do is check the actual measurements...I tried to download ths spec sheet that used to be on this site only to discover that I'm not able to access that particular segment of the site for some reason...known only by the 'administrator'. If anyone happens to have the measurements handy, would you please forward them to me? I did learn that the luff is equipped with slugs rather than slides, but don't anticipate too much of a problem...yes/no?
Many thanks in advance,

howard

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have a new cross cut FX main and 155 and they look great though my boat will not be in the water until next spring. Marvin my enemy and neighbor at the dock has a new FX main and a rag of a 150 headsail on his Catalina 25. His boat points higher than ever and is faster than ever. I can’t wait to get my sails in the air and try them. Based on crewing on Marvin’s boat I would buy FX again. Bill James gave me the most honest and believable answers of any loft and I talked to many of the major lofts.

If Marvin orders a 155 from FX how do I beat him with an E29 in light air?????

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Randy,

Sailing/racing in light air is very challenging, as every move or adjustment is key to performance, perhaps even more so than when it's blowing hard and the boat goes at hull speed or better regardless.

So my suggestion is to really study up on your sail trim technique (halyard tension, boom vang, leech line, cunningham, traveller, etc.) and make sure you have every adjustment done just right, and really watch all your telltales and sail shape to ensure you are sailing well. Remove everything from your boat that you can to lighten it (ie. no spare sails, heavy tool kits, no water in the tanks, holding tank emptied, etc.), and make sure your crew is well-trained and working with you.

Then you should beat him hands down!! :egrin:

Good luck!

Frank.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Frank

I have finished ahead of Marvin in heavy air and just behind him in constant light air with my 28 year old sails. The main bolt rope in the foot had shrank 4” and the luff had shrank 6” making the main a pillow shape at the lower third causing the traveler to need to be set far to the high side upwind. This is not a desirable sail set but that placed the main in better position sue to its shape. I think new sails and getting rid of the stucco like finish on the bottom paint will be a great help, I am spraying the barrier and antifouling.
I will find out next spring.

Where the lighter boats get me is when there are calms and then puffs the lighter boats move again and I just rock a little. Our lake has great wind early spring and late fall but summer can be no wind to moderate. With dead spots and at times as one racer said we were caught in the eye of the calm.

As Buffett said “Only Time Will Tell”

Thanks for the advice.

Howard Keiper

Sometimes I wish I were into racing...it seems like everyone at the local club is, especially on Fridays and Sundays. I understand that the E-35 is, or was able to give a good account of itself....fast enough for me, anyway. This main I'm looking at is 9.5 oz. Dacron...like plywood, I imagine.

Is anyone able to get the measurements of a mainsail from the archive or is it just me that can't?

clayton

Member III
E35-II mainsail

According to www.Baconsails.com the E35-II had 2 rig sizes.
A. I = 43 J = 14 P = 35.67 E = 13
B. I = 40 J = 14 P = 32.67 E = 13
So it looks like you'd have to measure to know for sure.
Clayton

Seth

Sustaining Partner
35-2 main

35.7and 13 should be right-that is the most common size for the 35-2's.

You have room for another few inches on the luff and foot-so if the used sail is no more than 36 x 13.5 feet it should fit-

If the sail is more than 6" short in any direction take a pass- it is not a good deal to have a main that doess not fit.

To be sure, grab a tape measure and hoist it up on the main halyard and measure to the top if the boom, and from the aft face of the mast to the fowd edge of the band on the back end of the boom-just make sure you have 13 feet available-you should.

Good luck,
S

msc1212

Member II
Fx Sails

I just purchased a FX dacron main sail for my E35II. I'm very happy with this sail. The price was right and the fit is perfect. The sail looks great and in my first two races it performed very well. FX Sails was very responsive to my email inquiries about ordering and delivery. Over the winter I will be buying a new 135 tri-radial and FX will certainly be contacted.

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Howard,

I have a dacron main made by Larsen/Neil Pryde in 2000. I used it one year before switching to a laminate type sail.
The sail is in good shape and should last many many years. It's for the tall rig. E 35 MkII. It has slides on it. $400.00

I am close by in San Mateo / Redwood City if you want to check it out.

Phil

boatboy

Inactive Member
Ericson Raft-up

Hi Phil,

That sounds like a very nice offer for Howard. I hope he at least reads it before committing to something else. We actually keep or Ericson in the same marina as Howard (Berkeley), and I can tell you he is a great guy - as well as his wife Carol.

The reason I am hijacking this thread is to see if you might be interested in joining us for the Ericson raft-up at Clipper Cove next month. The more the merrier for this sort of thing, and frankly I would love to meet you and hear your stories of the Single Handed Transpac.

This Ericson gathering will be the last hoorah for us in Pacifica. We are moving on to a different boat, but will almost certainly still have her for this event.