• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 cable length transmission

jdeboer

Member I
Does anyone know the length of the transmission cable for the E34?

I'm in the process of buying an E34. It's very hard to shift the gears. Transmission is checked out ok, but very likely cable needs to be replaced.

Thanks,
Jolanda
currently E29- Losierra owner

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jolanda,

I can't answer your question about the E34 cable length, but all the cables have markings near one end which includes the cable length (in inches). Maybe if you crawl down near the trans with a flashlight you can see those markings. I just changed our cable & it was 120--- ten ft. on our E33. It was a very difficult task to take the binnacle apart enough to change out the cable. Before you do it, take the compass off and try some 3in1 oil at the top end of the cable and at the bushing for the shifter arm.

u079721

Contributing Partner
The difficult shifting might also be due to a poorly routed (too tight a bend) control cable, which can lead to complete cable failure. So be sure to check out the earlier thread on this board about engine control cables (do a search on threads by u079721, or on control cables).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We had both cables replaced ('88 YS pedistal), last winter. One upexpected problem that had been contributing to our stiff actuation was that the SS rods had reacted with the cast aluminum casing that they went thru to the inside of the pedistal. We also increased the radius of all the cable run under the cockpit. That part of the pedistal was sent out for new powder coating.
What with the passage of about 20 years, it was time for new cables anyway... but these other aspects of that system should be addressed at the same time, IMO.

Best,
Loren

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Jolanda,

When we purchased ours almost two years ago, the shifter was real tough to operate. I removed the cable from the arm at the trany first to make sure it would shift easy. I then decided to squirt some penetrating oil into the cable from the pedestal to see if it would loosen up before having to remove the whole cable to have one built to specs. Guess what, after almost 2 years, it still shifts with ease. In fact I forgot about this little temporary fix until I just read your post. You may try this but the right thing to do is probably replace it with a new cable.

clayton

Member III
E34 cable length

If you search on "E32-200 Shift Cable Replacement" you will find the info I posted last year after doing the cable change. If you're looking at a mid 80's E34 (aft cabin/aft head layout) the lengths should be pretty close. If you're looking at a late 70's E34, my info probably is of no help.
Good luck.
Clayton