• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson Yachts List and a 15 Summer Cruise

wurzner

Member III
After my first week back at work following a 15 day cruise in the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands, I am now sitting in a hotel in Washington DC waiting for a Stevie Wonder Concert in Balitmore tomorrow (Go Stevie!).

First off, it is amazing how incredibley far away from work you can get on a sailboat (extremely quickly as well, like when you pull the dock lines leaving the slip). That being said, the trip went like this:

Everett to Port Townsend
PT to Sidney
Sidney to Ganges (Salt Spring Island)
S.I. to Vancouver
Vancouver to Nanaimo
Namaimo to Vancouver
Vancouver to Gabriola Island (Silva Bay)
G.I. to Montague Harbor (Galiano Island)
M.H. to Salt Spring.
S.S to Poet's Cove (South Pender Island)
P.C to Fisherman Bay (Lopez Island)
FB to Everett.

Some really cool parts of sailing are the people you meet along the way that included the lists very own Mike Gritten! I ran into Mike at False Creek Marina between Vancouver and Granville Island...a must stop destination for anyone in the area since their clubhouse and location are both about as good as it gets with for being close to the action in a beautiful city. Also, the board walk around Vancouver provides a never ending exchange of montain bikers, walkers, and roller bladers and I can honestly say, there were some really attactive folks to provide ample people watching from the deck of the boat (I now know why Mike always seems to be in such a great mood!). Anyway, let me know digress too much, but False Creek is a great location; I had the chance to eat some some Gyro's and Souvlaki withing easy walking distance.

Other noteworthy locations were hanging on the hook in Montague Harbor and going up to the Hummingbird Pub. This place is well documented in a bunch of cruising books and they provide a shuttle to and from the Marina (for the last ~25 years). If you happen to visit there, please make it a point to look up Thommy the shuttle driver. Thommy (aka Thommy Transit) is a retired Vancouver bus driver who would have been equally adept at doing stand up commedy. We play pool and had drinks (he was off duty and dropped me off on his way home none the less) and it was great time. Not knowing what to expect, this was a "gem" of the trip.

On the return leg home, I touched base with Craig and Ellen from Pilot Project who where heading north and I was heading south. We didn't get to hang on the hook together, but I will do a better job of logistics next year to see if we can meet more Ericson Yacht members.

If it wasn't for this list, I would not have known Mike, Craig, or Ellen so I thank Sean for providing such a venue for networking with other owners.

I will be posting photos of some of the places I stayed in the NW section in the coming weeks. None the less, it was nice traveling and meeting other vikings. I did also encounter another E38 in Vancouver and we both complimented each other in our good taste in boats!

440 miles under the keel on this trip and as always, I can't with until next years Rendez Vous and my annual trip to the Islands!

Shaun

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Author! Author!

Shaun -

I would love to see a small write up of the trip - with some photos - and we can make it a feature article on the new Regional Page for the PNW.... How about it??

:egrin:

//sse

wurzner

Member III
Sounds Good to Me

I'll work on it over the next week or so and will provide some photos as well. I didn't take as many photos as I should have, but can provide some GPS JPG's with tracking to show my route and I do have some photos.

Stay tuned!

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Shaun,

it was such a nice surprise to run into you at our Club in Vancouver! "Sorcerer" is a great looking boat - it was such a shame to have to tie you up under the bridge in birdsh*t alley. I am sorry that our plans didn't mesh up as we would have loved to sail with you. As it was, we passed you going in the opposite direction as we were returning from our 4 day adventure to Clam Bay/Ganges/Montague Harbour. Glad to hear all went well and your trip was a success.
We have to agree with you about our location in Vancouver - it IS a beautiful spot! BTW, we just got back from a weekend trip over to Silva Bay. We had a beautiful, sunny spinnaker reach over there on Saturday morning, followed by a cool, damp but exhilarating beat back home today. Great stuff!