• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

washing original V-Berth upholstery covers

marcusn

Member II
I'm about to throw the orignal V-berth covers in our washing machine.
Before I do, I thought maybe I should ask the experts on this board what they think about it.

These original covers (1975) look to be in descent shape, and worth keeping. They are backed by vinyl, and I'm not sure how good that is for a residential clothes washer.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Upholstery cleaning

I have spent my whole career in the textile business and the last 1o years, prior to retirement, manufacturing uphostery. I definitely would not put any 1975 era fabric in a washing machine. While I am not sure what fabric you have it is more than likely backed with latex. Latex is a real enemy to soap and water as it will quickly deterioate. I would not even recommend dry cleaning. It would be best to spot clean using woolite and be very gentle with the process. The fabric is probably loose woven and improper or harsh cleaning will cause it to fall a part. Hope this helps some. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1912&referrerid=28

I covered the cleanup of our '88 cushions in this prior thread. If you have '70's Herculon (sp?) I am not sure just how you would clean that durable fabric...
A washing machine seems way too "physical," IMO.

Maybe laying the covers out flat on a clean bedsheet on your driveway and cleaning them with a mild soap and spray from a hose?? Rinse well, and air dry them flat over some saw horses?
:confused:
In any case, toss the old dead foam and put in new hi density foam.

Best of luck,
LB

jkm

Member III
No Problemo

My "Penquin" is a 1973 vintage and last year I took all the cushions apart and machine washed them. They are OEM.

The soap you use is probably immaterial, but the machine you wash them in is critical.

Use a front loading machine. A top loading washing machine will rip it to shreds. If you overload the front loader the covers will get a bath in soapy water and the extraction cycle will get all the soap and most of the dirt out. Use extra downy in the rinse cycle and do not dry the covers in a dryer.

Don't bother using the 'delicate' cycle in a front loader, no difference in cycle speed-only less of them.

Years ago a United pilot buddy talked me into buying a coin laundry to take advantage of the ADA tax credits. Over the years we have acquired three and as such denied the state and federal government considerable tax revenue. He's responsible one month and me the next. He and I both agree that if we had to do it again we'd buy coin laundries and car washes and live on 80' yachts in the marina and simply travel-unfortunately kids and college tuition dictate a different scenerio.

Anyways you'll be fine.

John