• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Blower Hose

Kim Schoedel

Member III
It is time to replace the blower hoses. The old stuff appears to be dryer hose that you would use for your clothes dryer at home. Do you recommend stepping up to the pay window at our local Marine supply store or can I just use dryer hose? In addition, the old hose was just attached to the blower with zip ties. Should I use SS hose clamps intead? Thanks for the help.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Duh!

This is such a great site. I searched for Blower Hose and answered my own question. However, I would still like to know the best way to attatch the hoses. Thanks.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Zip ties will work fine, but I'd use big hose clamps if you can get them. They're removable.

cawinter

Member III
Al Hose

I never really finished the writeup on my stbd sail locker rebuild. I replaced the old hose that was punctured in many places and had been torn (during mounting?) w/ 3" Aluminum hose. Now I know the hose won't be compressed or punctured easily. Fits nicely behind the 'wall' and the airflow is amazing. I am sucking hot air out of the engine room. Other discussions about the value of this exist but I just decided to do it. Less smell onboard when the engine is running.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Engine Smell

If your goal is to reduce engine smell while underway, one modification you might consider is to re-route your crankcase breather tube to the side of your air intake. The fumes from the positive pressure and blow-by from our engine were pretty bad, and the cabin smelled terribly whenever we ran the engine for more than a few minutes (which was way more than we should have when cruising). This modification completely eliminated the engine odor in the cabin.

While I have read about many other folks doing this, I have also read that some do not recommend it as it can mess up the pressure inside the engine. I had about 600 hours of operation that way with no concern, but I still don't know whether it is really safe - though it is effective.