• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Type of Paint for Dinghy Numbers?

Sam Vickery

Member III
I tried "stick on numbers" for my inflatable and they keep coming off. So I believe it is time to paint the numbers on the dingy. I thought there would be a special kind of paint for the rubber type material the boat is made of. So off the the paint store I go. I ask about the marine environment and rubber boats and what type of paint would flex and not crack etc., etc. The clerk knew less than I do (Is that even possible?)about what type of paint to use. He suggested I try WM. I really try not to go there. So.........

I am asking the question of Ericson Group. What type of paint would you recommend? I would prefer not to repaint every year.

Thanks,

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Check out the last post under E27 Rub Rail by emerald

or bring it up in the "dingy pole"

Last edited:

chaco

Member III
Vinyl Spray Paint

Here in Oceanside we have GELLED on using Vinyl Spray Paint and Stencils.
The paint is the type used to repair Vinyl Dashboards and is available at your
Industrial Auto Body Paint Shops (not WM...not HD !) Clean the surface with
alcohol and it sticks great to PVC and Hypalon inflatables :nerd:
We also make a little 1/8'' plastic card to put our Yearly Plate Sticker on and
then wire tie to the dinghy ropes. The Stickers always come OFF :p

Happy Numbering :egrin: :egrin:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Thanks for the quick responces. I checked with the Vinylon people and the product sounds like great stuff, but at $25.15 a quart plus .......you better be sitting for this.......the shipping charge is $30.00. That is a bit over my "painting couple of numbers and letters on the rubber" budget.

So my next trip will be to the Industrial Auto Body Paint Shop for some GELLEN.

If the price is right that looks like the way I will go. If not I may be painting more frequently than I had hoped.

Sam
86' 32-3

paint for dinghy numbers

I once had an inflatable dinghy with the same question. Ultimately, I bought plastic boards that I put regular vinyl numbers on, then attached the boards to special glue on attachments I fastened to the dinghy. The stuff came from West Marine. They sure have gotten expensive, haven't they?
Jim Jones
Olson 34
Sunwood

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Believe it or not the PO of my inflatable used a large magic marker to simply draw the numbers on the boat. I have followed suit. Simply renewing the numbers each spring is all thats needed. They fade about 50% over the season but thats fine with me. The state registration stickers don't stick very well and always look like they are about to fall off however they never do. RT

sleather

Sustaining Member
Markers

I've been doing the same thing on my boat (black letters on white background) for a few years. Sanford/"sharpie" has a "new" industrial strength marker, worth finding.

jkm

Member III
I used a sharpie also.

In fact I simply wrote 'T/T Penguin' in block letters and the Sheriff's department has not even glanced in my direction.

Penquin is documented

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In fact I simply wrote 'T/T Penguin' in block letters and the Sheriff's department has not even glanced in my direction.
Penquin is documented
John

Good for you! Whatever works.
That would not impress the authorities in my state. If we attach a motor to a dink, no matter how short, it must have its own registration numbers on the bow...
I imagine that each state does this stuff a bit differently, though.

LB

jkm

Member III
Good for you! Whatever works.
That would not impress the authorities in my state. If we attach a motor to a dink, no matter how short, it must have its own registration numbers on the bow...
I imagine that each state does this stuff a bit differently, though.

LB

The law in California is the same as Loren's state and some marinas in the state may frown on the practice. As I only use my tender in the Marina Del Rey and over at Catalina the chances of a registration stop is nil.

Marine enforcement isn't much better than traffic enforcement in LaLa land.

John

Mike V

I found this on line. It looks promising. Boatnumberplate.com Has anyone ever used them?

I have lost my share of plastic registration tags off of my inflatable and here in CT /RI the police will stop you if you do not have tags.

JPS27

Member III
Affixing registration numbers on a roll up dinghy?

Searching on this issue, I found this thread. I ran across the boatnumberplate.com site in searching for the best way to affix the stickers and state stickers on the hull of my new WM dinghy (RU-250). Got a used torqeedo for, so had to have it registered.

Has anyone used this boat plate product? How well does it work on roll up? Or better option for a roll up? I just stenciled the street address on my new trash cans so those skills are sharpened. Thanks.

Jay

jreddington

Member III
I used a sharpie also.

Penquin is documented

John

So I'm guessing the dink is not registered at all. If it has an engine, besides the issues with the authorities (we don't need no stink'n badges), in the unlikely event of an injury caused by the dink, I can see a liability lawyer cranking up the heat on this issue. Shows "irresponsibility" even though no way a physical factor in whatever happened.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've had the boatnumberplate.com product glued on a PVC Zodiac for two years. I think they still look pretty sharp. Glued on with two-part cement, there have been no issues with the plates themselves, even when rolled up. However, the state tax stickers don't like to be rolled up, and are coming off before their time.