• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Teak Sole?

Bomr

Member I
My E35 had an old carpet that I need to replace. I would love to have a holly and teak sole, but it seems to be quite expensive; my online quote was about $3100!
I am wondering what others have done to improve the interior. A guy on my dock said he cut his own carpet and spent about $50.00, but I haven't seen how it turned out. Also, it turns out he works on boat interiors for a living, so I am sure my skill level is well below his.
Any thoughts or ideas on a good upgrade would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

noproblemo2

Member III
I have seen a Catalina that was re-done in the "vinyl" teak roll design and it turned out very nice, as well as being easy to maintain. It is sold at Captains Locker in Long Beach for certain and am sure it is available elsewhere as well. You can call them for the info.

Glyn Judson

Vinyl sole.

All, If this flooring that one of you saw on a Catalina is anything like what I experienced on a friends 200(?) Catalina 31 (he paid a little over $100K for it new) while working on it this summer, it's no better than Formica in edge resistance, from damage, possibly more fragile. The work I did was in the shallow bilge and others had worked there too. A corner of this stuff was already chipped off the hatch where it mated with the rest of the cabin sole. Despite what I thought was extreme care on my part removing and replaceing it numerous times, I managed to chip another corner. If this is what you're talking about, in my opinion it's crap, a cheap imitation of the real deal designed to give the LOOK of quality without even remotely approaching it. Kind of a wham, bam, thank you mam, quick and dirty substitute in a $100K boat! Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I put down tongue and groove PlasTeak. It doesn't look near as good as teak and holly but the price was right and my floor is removable and I don't care when my kids scratch it. It's the right choice for me right now. Install was easy.