• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e-25 Outboard Battery Cable...route to battery box?

mgray003

Member II
I have on my e-25, an older 7.5 hp Merc with electric start and an alternator so that batteries charge when the motor runs. Access to my battery box is in the cabin, under the steps. My portable gas tank is located in the gas locker (in the cockpit starboard-side storage box) with the fuel line coming through a rubber nipple that opens to the aft wall of the fuel locker, directly facing the outboard motor.

A previous owner drilled a hole (approx 3/4") in the floor of the gas locker, apparently for access to the battery area. I'm thinking he ran the power cable into that gas locker (through the nipple for the fuel line) and through the hole in the floor of the gas locker, to the battery. I don't like the idea of a power cable in the same area where there will be gas fumes. The possibilities seem.....explosive. But to further "ignite" the problem, my power cable is not long enough to reach the battery, and I think the previous owner must have attached a battery cable extention to the motor's power cable, and that connection would have been inside the gas locker.

I need a better route to the battery box. Can anyone suggest a route for this power cable to get to the battery box?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Steve Swann

Member III
An Unenviable Problem

I have an inboard E25 so I am probably expected to say something in the spirit of helping. I have to ask a couple of questions and assume some things here:

With an outboard, don't you have an open space at the aft-most end of the stb side of your cockpit for your gas can? Is this space not being used? Have you thought about locating your fuel tank back outside into this area where it was originally designed to go? If you did that, you wouldn't have the fuel vapors issue down below. You could even think about a custom built tank there, tabbed, or glassed in, if you were so inclined.

I would think you want to isloate the battery from the fuel and vapors especially. If you had the right sized, properly sheathed, electrical cables running near your fuel, they shouldn't pose a danger. It would be the fittings, terminals, excessive heat, etc. that might cause ignition, and you would need to isolate all of these areas from the possibility of ever mixing with fuel vapors.

I would not like the idea of a hole through the floor of my cockpit sole.

West Marine has a clever fitting to go through bulkheads. It is call a Vapor Tight Straight-Thru Fitting (item # 541078 lg. # 183600 sm.). The small one works really well for running anything from outside, such as your cockpit down below on our boats.

Just some ramblings...

Steve Swann
Seahorse
'77 E25 c/b

mgray003

Member II
Thanks, Steve. Yes, I do have an area between the aft end of the storage box and the transom. But I'm not sure it's large enough for my tank...it's a small tank....but may not fit. I will check that. Thanks for the advice. I'll figure something out.
Mike

jmpirate

My E-25 is similar

The setup in my E-25 is very similar. I don't know if this is specific to my boat, but there is a vent high on the aft face of that locker.

The main concern I have with your setup is the ease that leaked fuel could enter the aft of the boat and into the bilge. When I got mine, the tank had recently started to let loose. Fortunately I did not get any fuel in the boat. I can check tomorrow to see just how the power cables were run. It is fairly easy to get new cables made to length. If you have an appropriately sized cable without any electrical connections, then there will be no source for ignition.

jmpirate

Electrical Routing

I went and looked at how my cable was run. There is a hole about three inches up from the bottom in the forward side of the locker. If memory serves, there was a two to three inch space between the bulkhead and the outside of the locker. Hope this helps.

jim

Eslovett

SV Dulcinea
My E25's engine battery is currently in the portside seat locker. The previous owner was a little skidish about using the battery selector switch correctly.

When I re-wire I plan on running the engine wires to the battery box through the port seat locker and down through the bulkhead to the battery box.

Eric - "Dulcinea"