• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2nd handset for radio in cockpit?

hcpookie

Member III
My E27's cockpit has a jack that I recently realized was for a radio handset. After some research, I realized what a great thing it would be to have a 2nd handset on my radio right there by the wheel.

After looking further, it seems there are specific radios that are arranged with 2 handsets, but they are more than I care to pay for my recreational sailing purposes.

So I'm wondering about how I can either rewire my existing radio or replace the handset with a splitter. For you electrician types - is this a doable project? Or is there something intrinsic to a 2-handset radio that can not be added to other models?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Usually the remote station radios are specifically set up for that. Many modern radios have that capability though. Icom and Standard have that optional upgrade available for many of their radios, I believe.

I don't think you can simply wire a splitter for a second mic though, and you'd have the added problem of not hearing the speaker. The second station handsets are both speaker, and mic, and they incorporate controls for volume and channel as well.

The jacks for these are about 1" diameter circular connectors with a bunch of pins.

If that's not what you're seeing, I wonder if that jack is for a remote speaker for the VHF, not a handset. Many radios have a speaker output on the back for a second speaker.

jreddington

Member III
I have a Standard Horizon VHF with what they call a RAM+ remote handset. Still haven't mounted the jack yet (It takes me a long time to build up the courage to drill a hole anywhere in my boat) so I just run the leads out to the cockpit though the quarterberth port into the cockpit. But I could never go back to just having the fixed VHF in the cabin. I originally kept my handheld VHF with me at the helm but you end up going through batteries while monitoring and have limited transmission power. With the RAM mike you have full fixed VHF (plus the mast top antenna) at your fingertips.

Perhaps the jack you see is for a RAM mike that wasn't left by the PO. If it's a Standard Horizon VHF, the other end might still be connected to the VHF in the cabin. Not sure if the jacks are compatible over the years but you can buy just the handset for about $120. For example see this at West Marine: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/133659
(click on or cut and paste into your browser).

I've heard there are now even "wireless" remote handsets. But one advantage of these older wired RAM mikes are that you won't easily drop them overboard or have to recharge or replace batteries.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
wireless remotes

I've heard there are now even "wireless" remote handsets. But one advantage of these older wired RAM mikes are that you won't easily drop them overboard or have to recharge or replace batteries.

Straying a little off-topic, but I had to do a very quick install of a VHF this spring and went with an ICOM with a wireless remote mic. It was great not to have to run wires for a change. :) They are pretty slick. Its great to have the freedom to use your VHF away from engine noise. But you do have to keep an eye on keeping it on the boat and charged up, as you noted.

- Cory

ChrisS

Member III
I thought of doing the same thing a year ago (adding a mic to the cockpit), but my Icom model doesn't have the jack to run a second handset. Since I was wanting to do things like hail marinas, call a drawbridge, and be able to monitor other local traffic, I ended up going with a waterproof portable handset. I keep it clipped onto my inflatable PFD. An additional bonus is that if I go into the drink while singlehanding, I have a chance at getting some help.

jreddington

Member III
It was great not to have to run wires for a change. :)

- Cory

Pookie might be lucky in that aspect too since someone may have already done the wiring for him. Or, as mentioned by someone else, he may just be looking at a speaker jack. If I think of it, next time I'm down at the boat, I'll take a photo of the jack I have and post for comparison.

That's another reason while I'm delaying on mounting the jack in the cockpit. While most of the run would be very easy, from the transom and in the easily unzipped headliner, there is a tight spot where it needs to run under some trim to the electronics shelf.

Yeah, one advantage of the wireless system is that you can use it anywhere on the boat and I guess on any boat in a raft up or even in the dingy while close by the mother ship. But I can't think I'd need to do any of that very frequently. And having the wired jack at the helm position does get you away from cabin engine noise as you mentioned (We do actually sail sometimes with no engine noise don't we;)?

Captron

Member III
Remote mic

Kismet has an ICOM M402 with the Command Mic located in the cockpit. I'm not happy with it as transmissions via the command mic seem weak and easily cluttered with wind noise. Also when you crank up the volume enough to hear it (under way) the tiny (or maybe that's tinny) speaker distorts so badly that it's hard to understand ... of course, I'm a geezer with questionable hearing, just ask my wife.

I have a spare M402 that I plan to mount in the cockpit. Then I'll connect the masthead antenna to both radios via an automatic antenna selector such as the Shakespeare AS-2.

I've had this set-up before and much prefer it to the remote mic.

Last edited: