• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit drain hose leak

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Yesterday I noticed the bilge pump cycling about every 10 minutes or so.

The hose under the cockpit has a split in it. So I closed the through hull under the sink and it stopped the leak.

I had my son, much smaller and younger than I, do the monkey thing and crawl down into the starboard lazerette to inspect. It appears that two of the drains are routed down from the cockpit to a "T" behind (aft) of the hot water heater to a single hose that then routes forward to the through hull under the sink. This single line is has a 1 inch split in it and when the through hull is open it is shipping lake water to the split.

Obviously, I need to replace the hose. But why would the water be flowing in reverse from the lake? The design is to drain water from the cockpit to the lake. Not the reverse. I have never had any problems draining out before. could there be a check valve between the "T" and the drains in the cockpit?

Please help, I don't get it.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
The scuppers drain liquids (rainwater, a boarding wave, spilled beer) from the cockpit by gravity because the cockpit sole is above the waterline. The through-hull is well-below the waterline. Probably a foot or so. The portion of the scupper hose which is below the waterline will therefore be filled with water at all times. If the hose has a split in that below-the-waterline area, it will leak (and could sink the boat if unnoticed).

So, it's normal to have water in that hose. I wouldn't put a check valve in that line, because it would slow down the cockpit drains, and would probably leak enough to sink your boat if the hose breaks anyways. The best precaution is just to keep an eye on all hoses below the waterline, and replace them if they get old, cracked, or chafed.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a small family member who can do the hose replacement for you! :egrin:

Nate

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks Nate, this now makes sense to me. I have not officially asked my son to replace the hose. If I do it, I may need to have my wife hoist me back out feet first with the main halyard! Oh what fun but I am sure glad that I caught this little problem before very bad things happened.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, this setup sounds just like the setup on my E38. That drain hose with its T fitting is a royal PITA to remove and replace. I have a friend that is much smaller than me and he was able to crawl into the aft cockpit hatch to remove the hoses where they attach to the cockpit drains. The water heater was not installed at the time but that will have to come out too. I recommend removing the whole setup assembled, build the new setup on the ground and then reinstall. Squeezing those 1 1/2" reinforced hoses onto the T while under the cockpit will be almost impossible. A not fun but very worthwhile task. All of my drain hoses were original, horribly dry rotted and very close to failure. RT

lbertran

Member III
Scupper Hoses

Hi, Kim-
I had a number of mysterious leaks when I first got my E35-3. Water would pool under the galley sink, the bilge would fill frequently. Like you, I discovered a cracked cockpit hose which got me worried enough to inspect all the cockpit hoses. It seems that the heat from the motor eventually made all of those hoses hard and brittle and I found multiple small cracks. I ended up replacing them all. And as has been said in an earlier post, access is an issue. I'm 5'4" tall and was able to snake around the cockpit locker and by removing the bulkhead in the lazarette, had a clear shot to all the connections.

Glyn Judson

Replacing cracked scupper hoses.

All, I too replaced all my scupper hoses years ago and then in June of last year I went a step further. As with many Ericson scupper drain solutions, one of my three (3) drains was led to the galley sink, something I've never liked, while the other two led to a 1 1/4" gate valve aft of the engine, through the starboard side of the hull and below water. Early on I replaced that valve with a ball valve as a quickie upgrade and finally back in June last year I added a second through hull outlet on the port side aft of the engine. In doing so I made them both 1 1/2" seacocks all done the right way. So I now have two scupper hoses going to the starboard 1 1/2" seacock and the one that originally led to the sink now exits through the new 1 1/2" port seacock. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thank you everyone for your input. Sounds like I am going to have fun with this project. My guess is that once I start this, there will be no stopping point until I do it right and replace all. I better go on a diet, quick.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Oh Crap!

Now I've got something else to LOOK @ before I put'er "back" in.
It IS one of those "I best replace this soon(original hose & gate valve)" things that never get done. And just about the time you think or hear about it--------_ _it happens!

Mort Fligelman

Member III
This is a whole new subject for me.....so far I have not had a problem....but the boat is 20 years old....and the PO I am sure did NOTHING....unless of course it was a major disaster......If anyone who has done these replacements has any photos they can provide it will be much appreciated.....

Mort Fligelman
Acapella E-35III - l987
Boca Raton, FL