• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit layout?

MPower

Hi All.

I'm busy looking for a 27' to 30' Ericson on the west coast. Something north of Portland would be ideal.

Having searched every we based boat out there i have a question or maybe two.......If the boat has a wheel as apposed to a tiller which models do not have that step over arrangement to deal with to get to the wheel????? Seems odd and potentially dangerous to have that step to deal with if single handing the boat.

I have seen certain lengths of boat i think with and without the step over.

Are there certain years when the cockpit was arranged this way or is it certain models.

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

dc27

have boat, need time
Hi All.

I have seen certain lengths of boat i think with and without the step over.

Are there certain years when the cockpit was arranged this way or is it certain models.

the E27 production run was 1971-79. the split cockpit thing appeared in late 1974, coinciding with the introduction of wheel steering as an option and other upgrades. that's also when they moved the traveler from the cabin rooftop to the cockpit.

my '78 has the split cockpit, and i actually like it a lot; i use the aft "well" for stowing fenders, lines, etc. while under way. but...i have a tiller. if i was trying to stand back there to spin a wheel it probably would be a different story!

postscript: wheel steering became standard with hull no. 754, or so says the literature.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have the E-29 with a wheel with the split cockpit and love it. I find when single handing at times I sit in front of the wheel and steer from the bottom of the wheel and the steering is the same as a tiller as far as the direction you move your hand. The split is not a problem at all to the point I had never considered it as anything but a positive situation

MPower

Interesting comments. Can't help but think....and thats all i can do as i have not said a non tiller Ericson yet.....that the step over would be a pain in the *** single handed. OK if you had a crew and were sat back there barking out orders!

I would prefer to not have it to deal with it.......i think.

Thanks so far.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I may not be smart enough to notice but I have never even considered what a difference not having it would make. I single hand from behind the wheel and use the back winches and the traveler and main is right in front of me and at times from the main cockpit as stated earlier. With the optional back winches and the boom end main sheeting this setup is good for single handing behind the wheel and the only time going forward would be necessary is to change sails or drop/raise sails. Infront for lazy day sailing and behind the wheel for serious sailing.

Damn I hope this doesn't make me think about it and cause it to become a problem.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gettin' behind the wheel

It is only 1% worse than an adequate-size wheel in a later Ericson/Olson T-shape cockpit, IMHO.
You still have to step around or over...

Nice thing that Ericson did was to bring the traveler back to the helm on the E-27 / 29 wheel series. Housetop travelers are evil for single handing, IMO.

With the tiller, you could sit forward nearer the cabin, where you could get at the winch for the mainsheet. And, of course, with the housetop traveler you need the winch. (sigh...)

Loren

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I may not be smart enough to notice but I have never even considered what a difference not having it would make. I single hand from behind the wheel and use the back winches and the traveler and main is right in front of me and at times from the main cockpit as stated earlier. With the optional back winches and the boom end main sheeting this setup is good for single handing behind the wheel and the only time going forward would be necessary is to change sails or drop/raise sails. Infront for lazy day sailing and behind the wheel for serious sailing.

Damn I hope this doesn't make me think about it and cause it to become a problem.