• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First Time Attaching Sails

mgray003

Member II
I got my "new-to-me" e-25 to her new home last Saturday morning....mast up and boom on. We spent the rest of the weekend cleaning her up. Tomorrow I will attempt to rig the sails....my first time. I hope to get some help and/or advice from some other members at our sailing club, but if not, I'm going to do it myself. Any advice?
Also, what about lowering the centerboard? I really don't see much about that in the manual I downloaded from this site. (I am SO thankful I found this site). Any advice is appreciated. I'm a novice.

Lawdog

Member III
attaching sails

For the mainsail: Although I don't own a 25, but have owned both a 29 and 38, the first thing to do is insert the battens into the batten pockets securely. I have sometimes forgotten to do this, but its no big deal. unfold the sail and grab the clew, and slide the foot of the sail into the boom from the mast going back, and secure it to the outhaul. There should be a ring or pin to secure the clew with at the end of the boom. Then attach the halyard and starting with the head or top of the sail, insert the slides or rope into the track and slowly raise the sail and insert each slider in one after the other. You should spray the mast track and slides with some Sailkote, which will make the sail easier to raise and lower. After the last slug is in the track, reinsert the base screw to hold the slugs in place. Make sure you tighten the outhaul, which pulls the foot of the sail out on the boom and your almost done. Once you figure out which line is for reefing the mainsail, grab the bitter end of that line near the end of the boom, slide it through the reefing cringle on the mainsail leach and tie it on to the other side of the boom, near the end of the boom. Finally, drop the sail and tie it back up. It helps to have Capt'n Morgan assist you before you start, and some cold beers after you're done. If you run into problems have some more Capt'n.
Assuming you have roller furling on your jib, you first need to roll the forestay and furler up most of the way to get the furling line around the drum before you attach the jib, then unroll the jib on the foredeck and attach the halyard, and also attach the tack of the jib to the base of the roller furler. Have some Capt'n (burp) and then have someone feed the luff into the forestay track while someone else slowly raises the halyard. You can either attach the jib sheets now, or you could have done it before you raised the sail. The jib sheets should also have been lead along the deck and back to the cockpit. With the roller furling, simply tie off the halyard. I dont know a damn thing about the centerboard, but the Captn MOrgan was good.

sleather

Sustaining Member
First of All--Welcome--to centerboards

I take it this is your 1st sailboat. I've had my E23 for 22 years and in that time I've busted the "centerboard stop" twice. I don't know how the 25 is laid out. There should be a line that comes out of the "mast base" and runs to a "stopper" or cleat by a "winch" on the cabin top. Make sure you're aware of the water depth where you are & the draft of your boat w/ the board down. when you lower the board make sure you have a couple of wraps around the winch 1st & let it down slowly until you hear/feel the thunk. Raising is the opposite, couple of winds on the winch, crank'er up & you'll hear another thunk when it's up, then cleat off the line, securely!!! Make sure "that line" doesn't get released by accident!!! It's a freefall to the stop & a broken stop. Doesn't hurt the boat but you have to pull the boat & board to fix it.

The centerboard's function is to provide improved "LIFT" going upwind, you'll find you can "point" closer to the wind w/ the board down. It's not "required" for sailing in general & "racers" raise it when sailing "off" the wind.

Looks like somebodies already on you about the sail stuff.
Good Luck & I see you're another "land locked" sailor!

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Welcome and Congratulations.

If your sailing club doesn’t provide help and beer not necessarily in that order find a new club.
Seriously someone from your club will be excited to help you either because they are a great person or they want to show you how much they know. Doesn’t matter you get help no matter what the motivation.

Just incase. If you have a hank on headsail you secure the tack or lower front corner to the base of the forestay, there are different methods on different boats, then clip the hanks onto the forestay. Attach the halyard to the head of the sail attach the sheets to the clue and run the sheets to the cockpit by way of the blocks that are on the tracks on the edge of the deck. Also if you stuff the jib in the bag instead of folding consider stuffing the sheets and the clue in first and as you un-hank the sail starting at the head stuff the sail as you go. This way when you go to put the sail back on the first thing you remove from the bag is the tack or lower corner and you work your way up to the head, connect the halyard and then pull the rest of the sail out.

Enough of the instructions, your club will support you and probably go out with you to help you learn,

mgray003

Member II
Thanks for the help. I will cut and paste all these into a word document and print to have with me for back-up today.

Yes, I'm landlocked. Our lake runs only about 60 miles long. Most every marina docks 10-15 sailboats, but there is only one sailing club on the lake, (about 100 members) and it's very close to my home. So I can't switch.

And yes Randy, I do expect a couple of helpers from my club to wander around and offer advice...and even help....but they don't offer beer. MY ice chest will be full, with lid open, sitting next to my boat. That's how I attracted the help last week.

One other question about the sails. There is a black line on my mast that appears to be a guide as to correct location of the beam. I have studied pictures of e-25's at sail, at it appears this is correct. But this location is ABOVE the opening where the beam slips into the mast, and where I guess the sail slides fit in. Do I lower the boom for attaching the main sail, then raise it back up after all the sail slides are in the groove?

Thanks,
Mike

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E-25 Questions

Mike-- When you go to put the main on to the mast. This is my procedure.

1. Feed the foot of the main onto the slot on the boom with it laying on the cabin top.
2. Hook the halyard to the top of the mainsail
3. Start feeding the sail slugs one at a time into the slot by pulling up the main halyard. Eventually you will have raised the mainsail up.
3. Take the boom and insert the gooseneck into the opening and pull on the halyard to raise the boom to the line on the mast.
4. Insert the track stop and tighten. This will hold the boom up on the mast.
5. either attach the topping lift or hook the pigtail that might be on the backstay to the end of the boom.
6. Attach the pin through the clew of the sail right at the gooseneck and mast.
7. Attach the line at the bottom tail end of the sail on the boom near the boom end
8. Attach the downhual to the bottom of the gooseneck to keep the mast from raising up the slot on the mast. There should be a cleat of sorts to use.
9. Drop and flake the main onto the boom.

***********DO THIS IN A NO WIND SITUATION.**************

If you want or need any pictures? I will be on the boat this afternoon and could snap them and send to you tonight. Rob Hessenius

The centerboard is really a simple thing to operate. You just have to beware not to let it freefall. This could cause damage. I used different colors of shrink tube to mark various positions on the attaching line to know how much board is down. I pretty much always keep my board in the down position. When I lower it and hear the thud, I then pull up the board ever so slightly to take of the forces off the stop. The boat behaves completely different in all aspects with it down. It tracks, more a solid stable feel and ride. The only time I raise the board while sailing is in a race with the wind behind me. Less board = less drag. I raise the board when I go into the marina or in areas that the depth is less than 7'. The board will tell you when it needs to be raised. If you hit the bottom the design is intended that the stikes will raise it. I have changed the internal blocks to ease the effort to raise and lower, but thats a whole nother novel.

Last edited:

mgray003

Member II
Thanks Rob for the step-by-step. I wouldn't want to inconvenience you by asking for pictures, but I'm in no position to refuse an offer of help. Pictures would be great!!! If you're going to do that, I will just clean today and look things over. As I go over all of these instructions in my mind (while I'm on the boat) if I see any area where I'm not sure (sail or swingboard) I will abort and wait until I see your pictures. Thanks so much to each of you. I'm heading out right now to "give it a go."

Rob, would you leave the centerboard down all the time....even at the mooring ball....if in 20' water? I probably won't be racing for some time.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Pictures

Mike I will take pictures of what I think you might want to see as per our conversation. I have to work till 2PM today. If there is any picture specific just ask. It is by no means inconvienent to do this for you. I will check the site for any of your request at 2 ish.
With the board up at a mooring or anchor. E25 tend to wander or hunt differently than keeled boats. If you are in a tight mooring field I would for sure have my board down or at least halfway. The only risk involved is if the boat broke free and drifts into shallows in a blow. You probably will be replacing it. Most likely a insurance claim it would be. So to your question, Yes I would leave the board down as long as I had total faith in the holding power of the mooring and faith in my attaching tackle and safety/secondary attachments.
Send me a IM with your email address so I can send you over pictures. Rob Hessenius If you have any questions call me 920.203.1876

Ray Rhode

Member III
Mike,

Good idea about the open full ice chest with beer. I find that a beer flag on the starboard spreader halyard works well . When they come to investigate you say "while you're here..."

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

sleather

Sustaining Member
Depth

Mike, You may want to check around for a "chart" for your lake.
It will give you some idea where you can & can't go w/ your board "down".

They can quite often be found @ "fishing stores/bait shops", for inland lakes.

Is there a depth finder on your boat, how's the water clarity?
I "google mapped" it, looks like a lot of adventures ahead!!!
My POND is a 7mi x 5mi kidney shaped thing.

Last edited:

mgray003

Member II
Ray, I definitely need a beer flag!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:><o:p></o:p>
Rob, Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I left the house immediately after my last post yesterday morning. Thanks for the pictures. When I got to the dock, a friendly stranger offered to help me get the sails on. We did and lowered the swingboard. Both were exactly as instructions I received from this site, but the confidence level of having an experienced sailor be there telling me…”it’s okay…that’s right”, etc…really helped. After we got my boat rigged, he and his wife took my wife and me on a sail in their boat (C&C 33’…very nice). We were out a couple hours. When we returned he offered to go with us on our boat. That was great! We had a very good time. But I have lots and lots and lots to learn.
<o:p></o:p>
Three specific things I’m not sure about and could use pictures or explanation: 1. How does the topping lift attach to the clew of the boom? Type of attachment (shackle) and location? 2. How does the short line that comes from the backstay attach to the clew of the boom….type of shackle and location? (The hardware on my boat in these locations were questioned by the fellow that helped…said it didn’t look right to him. I know nothing, so thought I would ask). 3. Also, I have a genoa (probably 1.25) on a roller furling….How do the sheets to that foresail come back to the cockpit? They seemed to always get cumbersome in a tack...catching on lifelines, etc. A verbal explanation or pictures would really be great….when you get time. No hurry. I have it rigged….just not sure it’s rigged the best. Email is mgray003@centurytel.net
<o:p></o:p>
Steve, I’ve seen those charts and I will have one….and a depth finder….SOON!!! I am fairly familiar with this end of the lake. I have boated and fished here for about 10 years and know where the main structure is below surface. But I sure would have liked detailed depth info today. This is a fairly clear lake. On weekends, it has lots of use so keeps it stirred up some. The lake is surrounded by hills and mountains, so the wind is often swirling, and changes direction often. I had no particular place to go….so I kept tacking to get the best wind. I’m sure I was just going in circles…….but I was SAILING!!! And we had a blast. Thanks to all.
Mike

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Mike, sounds like you had one hell of a day. You'll get her figured out in no time. One thing a "sailor" gets used to is thinking "one or two or..... steps ahead". Prior to tacking, snug up the windward(other) jib sheet and check to see that it's not "hung up" on anything. Boat lines are just like "fishing line" they will get hung up on anything & everything & can tie themselves into knots unknown to man.

Glad to hear you've got some "local knowledge" going for you!
It's kind of intimidating @ first thinking about that board 5'+ under your boat. But unlike fixed keels you've got an "early warning system", when the board does hit bottom you've got another 3' to play with. What I love about "centerboarders" is that w/ the board "up" you can sneak into the shallows, anchor and walk around your boat, GOOD CHOICE!

I know you'll come to love it, it's an Ericson! My grandparents last name!

Last edited:

mgray003

Member II
Steve, WOW! Another great idea....that I just had not thought possible. By raising the centerboard, being able to shallow up and check/clean the top side of my boat...without having to pull her out, or circle around her in a dinghy. That will be a real plus. Great tip for a novice. I'm a smart guy though...I'm sure I would have figured that out in a couple years. Thanks,
Mike

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Mike

You will find that the running rigging of your boat is personal you will figure out what works well for you. Just remember safety first and don’t do anything that will give way and hurt you. As to the topping lift from the masthead and the one from the backstay, there should be a snap shackle or some kind of hook on each of the lines and a place on the boom to hook it (this could be a shackle or a fixed loop) there is a clevis pin in the end of my boom end fitting that I hook to. The only thing what will do serious damage to the swing keel would be to hit something solid at the top of the keel near the hull, dragging the tip only removes bottom paint or a little gel coat.

Don’t take this the wrong way but a good book for newbie’s is Sailing for Dummies. My wife bought the book for me when I got my first sailboat a Hobie 14. The book is not overly detailed as to confuse people like me and it gives enough to help get past the what is this stage.

Good luck any go out and learn, Stay off the shore line and experiment with the boat and build confidence.

Attachments

• Picture 016  M.JPG
    Picture 016 M.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 142

sleather

Sustaining Member
CB's

The other cool thing about CB's if you do get stuck, you can get out & push!!!! Don't forget your "safety line". I took a swim one HOT day (no wind) and my sails were "loosely" dropped, a front came thru 0-12 instantly. The boat took off w/o ME, fortunately I always toss over a yellow poly(floating) rope when I'm "over" but it was a hell of a struggle "hand over hand" to get back on board.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Get out and push.

All, Steve's reference to getting out to push the boat off a bank, etc. brings to mind the story of a friend helping another friend deliver an E29 down the Intracoastal Waterway from North to South Carolina in the sweltering heat of the late summer. They were both novices to the ICW and panicked when they hit the first sand bar mere minutes after starting their trek. It was tat that point that my friend Doug looked at Larry and asked, "How much does your boat draw"? Larry answered 4.5 feet (or whatever it really is) at which Doug lept over the side, calmly walked to the bow and gently shoved the boat off the sand bar and their journey continued. Over the course of the next few days they went aground several more times. Doug described these instances as almost turning to fist fights to see which of the two would get to go over the side to cool off while pushng the boat from the sand bar and into deeper water. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

sleather

Sustaining Member
Nothing

Oh "there is nothing quite like, messing around in boats", what would have become of us if we had all remained "landlubbers"??? Maybe it's time for that BEER, yknot, here's to YA!

Last edited:

mgray003

Member II
Back at you, Steve. yknot!

Randy, I don't have an attachment at the clew of my boom. There is a threaded hole...but nothing there to attach to. I think I can find something. I'll check at West Marine or some other for a piece of stainless. I have it rigged, and it appears to not have much pressure...and when sailing, it will be unattached. But I want to get it right. Thanks for that picture. It helps.
Thanks to all.
Mike

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If the threaded hole is at the very end of the boom and is horizontal there is usually a flat piece of metal with a hole in each end. A sholdered bolt or a bolt with a collar that fits the hole in the plate would hold the plate to the boom and the other end would be the attachment point. You could also bole a plate on that doesn’t swivel if you use a fixed plate you need to check the bolt frequently for tightness as the swaying of the boom may twist the plate and loosen the bolt.

Attachments

• boom end.GIF
    boom end.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 45

sleather

Sustaining Member
Winter Reading

In addition to "SFD" might I recommend, Fundamentals of SAILING, CUISING, & RACING (Stephen Colgate), old book, but then again we have "old" boats. Sea Sense, that one's out on loan so the author????? (Richard Henderson) it's very "offshore" but it's good reading and GOOD advice for the inevitable "bad" day.

Last edited: