• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 design

Bardo

Member II
Does anyone know in what year Ericson changed the design of the 34 to the aft head/aft cabin layout? I am trying to figure how far back I can go and still get this neat floor plan.

Thanks in advance,
Freeman

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure of the exact year, but by the mid-80's Ericson had noticed that the market was moving firmly to a preference for what came to be called the "tri cabin" layout with head aft on one side and a double berth cabin on the other. This pushed the galley, nav table and dining table forward and makes the center of the boat a bit smaller when you are entertaining. It was a tradeoff -- presumed privacy for less open space in the middle.

The existing E-35-3 got a new deck and interior design and tooling and became the E-34 (I would perhaps call it the E-34-200, to make it easy to differentiate from the late 70's IOR-ish E-34T).
The E-32-3 became the tri cabin E-32-200, and the E-38 got the same tooling change into the E-38-200.
In early '88, they bought up the tooling for my model, the Olson 34, and it already had this tri cabin layout. We like it, but each type of interior has its strong points and drawbacks.

If I got the models and changes wrong, perhaps Seth or Martin can check in and make corrections.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
I once saw my boat, a "88 E34, alongside a E35 and the hulls where very different. I'm not quite sure what a E35-3 is, but if it is a mid 80's boat, I don't think the hulls are the same.

Bardo

Member II
I have not been on an E-35 III yet, but the layout from pics is very traditional. This is fine, but when I went onboard a 34 with the tri-cabin layout, I actually felt like there was more room. I know thats not true, but I like the converging setees and when the table was opened up, I thought it was a great layout for entertaining. Looked like I could get 6 comfortably around the table., and I liked transitioning directly to the V berth. Taste is totally subjective, and I have been accused more than once of not having any . And E34s seem more scarce than the 35s as well. Less made I suppose. I am looking at one in St. Pete FL now. Its really the only one out there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know thats not true, but I like the converging setees and when the table was opened up, I thought it was a great layout for entertaining. Looked like I could get 6 comfortably around the table., and I liked transitioning directly to the V berth.

FWIW, last year on our club cruise, we had an evening social on our boat with 11 people inside for drinks... Of course that had some sitting on the steps, and nav seat and on the back of the fore peak berth... and... etc...

I should have taken a picture!
:)

Loren
Olson 34 Fresh Air

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
E34 vs E35-III

The existing E-35-3 got a new deck and interior design and tooling and became the E-34

Actually, Ericson offered both the 34's and 35-III's concurrently in the late 80's. I think the layouts appealed to different buyers.

I once saw my boat, a "88 E34, alongside a E35 and the hulls where very different. I'm not quite sure what a E35-3 is, but if it is a mid 80's boat, I don't think the hulls are the same.

The 35-II was made until 1981 or so, and it was a different and narrower hull. If you put a 34 and 35-III along side each other the hulls are nearly identical... what little difference there is is in the stern. The deck layouts are definitely different, but do share that "Ericson" styling.

- Cory

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Freeman, I may know of an '87 34(fin keel) coming up for sale in Portland, Maine soon. A friend of mine who is looking to upgrade to a larger cruiser has put a bid on a Tartan 41. He has not listed it yet and you may get an advantage of not having to deal with a broker. Financially good for both parties usually. Let me know if you are interested and I will let my friend know.

BTW, he is the original owner and he is the attorney for Bruce King who has sailed on this boat. I think he would throw in the good ju ju for free:egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cory is right

The Ericson 35 most people think of is the 70's model built until 80-81 (I think we did the last hull in late 81/early 82 actually). This boat looks a lot different (hull shape especially) than new generation of 32/34/35/38-which are all VERY similar.
Also when Cory says he is comparing the 34 and 35-III and they are similar, he is referring to the newer 34-NOT the 1970's model with the pinched stern (recently in another thread).
As long as we are talking model years from the early 80's forward, the 32/34/35/38 are in the same vein.

The 34's and 35's from the previous decade are entirely different boats.

S

Bob Cole

Member I
Does anyone know in what year Ericson changed the design of the 34 to the aft head/aft cabin layout? I am trying to figure how far back I can go and still get this neat floor plan.

Thanks in advance,
Freeman

My E-34 aft cabin is number 207 built in 1986 but called a 1987. They started the aft cabin with hull number 200 so I'm the sevebth built. So the answer is about 1986.
Bob Cole
"Sundance"
E-34