• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing a 1974 Gasoline Tank

jprice

We have a 27 foot Ericson, year 1974. This spring all the gas from the tank leaked into the bilge, creating an extremely dangerous situation. We were able to carefully siphon the gas from the bilge and after cleaning the bildge tested the tank for leaks. The leak appears to be at the bottom of the tank. We need some ideas as to how we might replace this tank and where we might be able to find a replacement. This beautiful boat is worth saving!!

Our fun boat has been out of the water all summer. Thanks so much for any help you can give us.

J Price
Milford, DE

wanderer

Member II
sorry about your tank. i'm feeling your pain as mine just gave up the ghost JUST as yours did.

my boat is the "t" cockpit/ wheel so the lazarette opening is only 18"x12" give or take.

i vented the tank for 2 weeks, broke the tank support tangs loose with a dremel and moved the tank around enough to zip it into pieces with a saws-all.

sadly, the ONLY oxidation in the entire tank was at the very bottom lowest corner of the tank near the pickup tube. rest of the tank was spotless inside.

you can go with a custom job ($$) or go cheap like i'm doing and get a 12 or 13 gallon plastic tank that will last for 10,000 years/longer than i'll ever own the boat, make a mount for it and be done.

the tiller model boats have larger lazarette hatch, i believe, that allows maybe more elbow room to work a larger tank in/out.

good luck.

:esad:

Annapolis E-27

Member III
If I had not read Wanderer's reply I could have written it word for word. My 1978 E-27 had the same sad story. I took the saw to it last winter. Right know I have plumbed a 3 gallon temporary tank until I build a frame in the off season for a new plastic 12 gal tank.

Mark Hand

A les invasave repair

I have used this product in automotive applications (rust old steel tanks) and it works wonders. I don’t know the compatibility with aluminum but it might be worth a phone call to find out. There web site is http://www.por15.com/<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Then look for there gas tank repair. Good luck<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>