• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mack Pack or North Quick Cover

Bob Cole

Member I
Has anyone had experience with these type of main sail covers. I'm in the market for a new main and am thinking seriously about the Mack Pack or a similar system. Thanks.
Bob Cole
E-34
"Sundance"

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
We had the North integral sail cover/lazyjacks on our last boat. It was very convenient. Just be careful not to drop the zipper car overboard. It sinks. Every time. :)

The only problem we had was a tear that developed near the gooseneck after about a year, but I think that was because the cover was not secured far enough aft. It was an easy repair. I really loved it for ease of raising and dousing the full-batten main.

Captron

Member III
Mack Pack

I have the Mack Pack system with a full batten main. Very happy with it. Very simple and easy to install. There's an external draw string you can pull to open or close the zipper from any position along the boom, very convenient.

The thing about mounted sail covers is that it makes covering the sail easy enough that we actually do it. With a conventional cover, we often wouldn't bother with it especially when arriving to an anchorage late.
:egrin:

u079721

Contributing Partner
We had the UK version, called the Lazy Mate or something like that, and loved it. On our 38 the routine of tying down the sail with sail ties and then getting out the sail cover and snapping it in place around all the lazy jacks got to be quite a pain - almost enough to make me envy those folks with in the mast furling mains. But with the UK set up all you did was run a zipper the length of the main cover, no ties to deal with, and nothing to fall off or get lost.

Lan

Doyle Stack Pack

We had a Doyle Stack Pack on our Tartan 3500 4 years ago. In fact Seth was the guy that came to the boat to measure, etc. We had a Tides sail track and slides installed with the stack pack.

The stack pack was great but the sail never went up as easily as we expected and never came down on it's own more than half way. Doyle was very helpfull (Seth had left Doyle so he wasn't there to give us advise.) Anyway, we liked the Pack but not the track and slides. If I were to do it again I would go with Harken's Bat Car system.

Last year we got smart and bought an Ericson!

Cheers, Lan

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Stack Pack

We have a retrofit Stack Pack on our 35III. Raising and lowering is a bit of an issue but, not having had a full batten sail before, I'm not sure if the SP is at fault.

The ease and speed of covering and uncovering the sail is welcomed after a long day.

Docking in tight spaces with a breeze is a little more exciting with the additional windage. Not a big enough issue to make a buy/not buy decision, but there will be a few times when you will wish you didn't have it.

Steve Murray
Charllottetown, PEI
E 35III 222