• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor poll

What kind of anchor do you most commonly use?

• Plough

Votes: 52 26.7%
  • Hinged Plough

Votes: 31 15.9%
  • Steel Fluke

Votes: 42 21.5%
  • Aluminium Fluke

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Claw

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Spade

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Classic

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There may be other reasons... but in the past the off-site links keep breaking.

Loren

celtium

Member III
Anchor design question.

I'm getting ready to fabricate an anchor. I'm lucky enough to have a fab shop and find it fun to build my own anchor occasionally, so far I have built two Bulwagga types (27# & 45#) that work quite well. But according to the, now famous, Sail Mag test the Bulwaggas are marginal.

So, now I am going to fabricate a 'hybrid' between a Rocna/Manson and a Spade. I'm going to make the anchor more like the S100 Spade (44#), but with the Rocna/Manson type of high strength steel shank. The fluke area will be same as the Rocna/Manson, so it'll be larger than the Spade and the steel will be broken twice at the fluke area rather than rounded like the Spade.

My question is... does anyone know the width of the Rocna/Manson shank for a 45#? The pictures appear to be 3/8" to 1/2". I have purchased a sheet of high tensile steel (580) that's 3/8" wide. I am considering laminating to 3/4", but if I do I'm troubled as to how. If I weld it, the metal may warp. I may simply galvanize the two pieces and tack them together and galvastick the tack areas, hmmm.

At any rate, if anyone can tell me the thickness (i.e. 3/8", 1/2". 3/4" etc.) of the shank, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks ,

Jay
Celtica, E38-200
SF Bay

Last edited:

sbuck

sailor Steve
Rocna

Does anyone have / use a Rocna scoop anchor from New Zealand? :confused: I keep the 12H Danforth on the bow pulpit (soon to be roller) but am afraid of weeds which they don't like.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Steve, a friend of mine swears by his Rocna. He has even gone so far as to do tests on many popular anchors. Hopefully he will see this thread and post some of that info.

Maine Sail

Member III
Does anyone have / use a Rocna scoop anchor from New Zealand? :confused: I keep the 12H Danforth on the bow pulpit (soon to be roller) but am afraid of weeds which they don't like.

Yes and it is simply amazing. I can't make that comment though without also praising the Manson Supreme. I own/owned (Tim?) both a Manson Supreme and a Rocna and they have both performed at 100% first try set every time. They have also never come un-set on a wind or tide shift.

Both anchors are great designs..

The key with these anchors is the narrow knife like profile for cutting through the bottom to get set and the increased surface area (read holding power) for the given weight..

Last edited:

fidji

Eric
I Have A Rocna 15 It Is Simply Amazing I Had A Dragging Cqr Before And I Had Plenty Of Time To Secure The Anchor Line To The Cleat Before It Set, But Now With The Rocna I Have To Work Faster Because That Anchor Set Less Than Half The Distance Of A Cqr, The First Time I Used The Rocna I Was Surprised And I Have To Ask To My Wife To Go Foward Before Running Out Of Rope Because It Was Simply Impossible For Me To Tie The Rope Around The Cleat,that Anchor Built Is Holding Power Instantly (i Have Hands Blisters To Prove It)
The Boat Never Drags Its Anchor Again And I Feel Safer Now When It Is Time To Go To Bed , An Anchor Is The Best Boat Insurance You Can Get;)
Eric

bayhoss

Member III
With my E 28+ I use a 25# CQR with 12' of 5/8 chain. Holds under even the worst conditions on the Chesapeake.:egrin:

Rick

Member I
I use 35lb Manson Supreme with 35ft of chain and 600ft of line on E-32. For a backup I have 25lbs CQR. I made stainles bow pulpit with a anchor roller.

Attachments

• IMG_0053x.jpg
    IMG_0053x.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
On an E-23 I use a 14# Plow with 31' 5/16' 3B with 300' 1/2" Sampaon for the Bower . The Kedge is a Danforth with a like amount of5/16" 3 G and 1/2" rode. The Hooker that came with the boat and an older chain and rode serve as a lunch hook.
Overkill, but since I have them from a larger boat!

Dan Morehouse

Member III
45 lb. Manson

I use a 45 lb Manson Supreme on 210' of 5/16" high test chain on my E-38. This was an upgrade from the 33 lb Bruce the boat came with. I frequently anchor while cruising, almost never taking a mooring or paying for a marina. I try to use at least 5:1 scope, nudge it to set with reverse, and then back on it with half to full throttle. The Manson has lived up to its billing, only failing to set once when fouled with heavy kelp, and once when skating across a rock bottom. In one anchorage with 20-25 knots and only 4:1 scope, the boat was sailing back & forth on its rode, and snubbing up so hard at the end of each "tack" the bow would do a nose dive so violent that I later discovered the threaded pin on the D shackle I was using was almost too deformed to unscrew. I fixed this problem by copying Steve Christiansen's riding sail design, which has also lived up to its billing.

I add a 30 lb. Danforth shackled to the crown of the Manson and deployed ahead of it on 50' of chain when I've anchored the boat unattended for a week more than once...and that arrangement has never budged an inch that I can tell.

It's worth noting that I've never heard the Manson Supreme or the Rocna indicted for a chronic failure to hold. They have some history of slamming each other, but cases of people moving back to the other types from either one seem to be conspicuous by their absence. I consider their modestly higher prices to be similar to the difference between cheap tools and "expensive" ones...those of us who have used both hard never go back to the cheap ones.

Last edited:

celtic sea

Member III
Wow, Great thread! Just in time, I currently was looking for what the proper anchor and chain/rode setup to go with on my 35 (it came with a small Danforth). I've taken notes from all the replies and my answers are answered! Now to get some sort of anchor roller setup and windlass I'll be really set. I'll get the anchor squared away first.
Thanks everyone.

John
E35-2
s/v Dijan

Camelot

Anchor choices.

This is a great topic thank you...........As for me I sail out of the Boston area from down-east Maine to Long island sound so I encounter a number of different bottoms and wind against tide situations for which I want variety. On my E39 "Camelot" which I sailed for 19 seasons my normal set up was a 45# CQR plow on 25' of chain and 250'of nylon line. I spliced the anchor line directly to the chain rode so that I could easily feed everything down through a small deck pipe, as I didn't want to be taking water down a larger pipe up in the Gulf of Maine. I also carried a 25' of extra chain in a "shot bag" (stored low in the center of the boat) which I could add between the CQR and chain rode in a blow. My second anchor was a Danforth 30# HT which I would set if a major windshift was expected overnight or if I were anchoring for an extended period. Generally we set Danforth perpendicular to the plow or astern if anchored in a river or real strong current, such as out @ Nantucket. Whenever I was lucky to get away for over 2 weeks I carried a 50# Luke Yachtsman also lashed low in the bilge as well...........I carried the same gear for my following 44' boat which weighed in around 26,000 lbs for an other 20 years without any issues, though I did add 2 additional shot bags of chain for her. I found this covered me well in rocky, sand, mud, kelp, weeds & reversing currents..........I recently purchased an E33 RH and will be setting her up the same way though I plan to downsize the plow to 25#, the Danforth to 20 & will only carry the Yachtsman if I head south for a winter........I look forward to reading more opinions especially feedback on the Manson anchor which I have been considering. Bob E33 # 23

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I plan to downsize the plow to 25#

FWIW, I bought my E-34 with a 25# CQR on the bow with 30' of 5/16" chain. I quickly discovered that I could plow very straight furrows in the bottom with this anchor. I replaced it with a 33# Bruce and no problems. If you like CQRs I would step up a size. YMMV.

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
On Merrimist my 1986 38-200, after much research and deliberation, I purchased a Manson Supreme 35lb steel - galvanized anchor. See the following from the West Marine blurb.
So far so good, although I am using only 30 feet of chain on the three strand nylon rope rode, I am very happy with the holding power. Although I have not had the opportunity to use it in any wind over about 20 to 35 knots constant. But I can say it has much better holding than my standby traditional style Fluke anchor.
A fast-setting, high-holding “scoop style” anchor for all sea bottoms
These Lloyd’s Register Super High Holding Power (SHHP) approved anchors set immediately, digging in fast to provide peace of mind in crowded anchorages. The world’s only New Zealand made anchor provides excellent performance in a variety of seabeds.
Lloyd’s Register Type Approval illustrates the highest possible certification an anchor can receive. Both the anchor and manufacturing process must undergo stringent reviews and tests by Naval Architects and Surveyors including rigorous seabed testing. Approval means this anchor exceeds all current certification codes for quality, performance, craftsmanship, and most of all safety.

Hammy in sunny Bermuda
Merrimist E38-200

907Juice

Continuously learning
Updating anchor

So I’ve read all 50 or so responses and realize anchor opionions are all over the place. I’m wondering if anyone who was using a plow style anchor is still using it. I currently have a Bruce and after dragging a couple times I started doing some research. The videos produced by SV panope show it is about the worst type for smaller boats. I have many of the same problems getting the anchor to set and reset when the tide or wind shifts.

My current setup has a Bruce with about 20ft chain and 150 ft of rope. I have added another 100 ft of rope and it seems to work a lot better. I want to upgrade with a new package since the rope is getting old and may as well start from scratch. It all needs to fit in my anchor locker which currently fits 300ft rope, 20ft chain, and my anchor.

Typically my anchoring areas hover between 40-60ft then rapidly shallow up to 0 close to the shore. The bottom is somewhere between pebbles, sand, or mud depending where I anchor. So the likelihood of anchoring in 20ft areas with white sandy bottoms is non existent. I try to anchor somewhere about 40ft and put out 200ft of rope which gets me closer to the 5:1 ratio. 300 ft of rope will push it out farther but getting an actual 7:1 will likely never happen.

I’m thinking about the fortress mainly because of the low profile, the cost, and weight. I understand it may not be as good as the newer spade and rocnas but I’m fairly limited on space and resources.

Thanks for the help
Juice

907Juice

Continuously learning
So I’ve read all 50 or so responses and realize anchor opionions are all over the place. I’m wondering if anyone who was using a plow style anchor is still using it. I currently have a Bruce and after dragging a couple times I started doing some research. The videos produced by SV panope show it is about the worst type for smaller boats. I have many of the same problems getting the anchor to set and reset when the tide or wind shifts.

My current setup has a Bruce with about 20ft chain and 150 ft of rope. I have added another 100 ft of rope and it seems to work a lot better. I want to upgrade with a new package since the rope is getting old and may as well start from scratch. It all needs to fit in my anchor locker which currently fits 300ft rope, 20ft chain, and my anchor.

Typically my anchoring areas hover between 40-60ft then rapidly shallow up to 0 close to the shore. The bottom is somewhere between pebbles, sand, or mud depending where I anchor. So the likelihood of anchoring in 20ft areas with white sandy bottoms is non existent. I try to anchor somewhere about 40ft and put out 200ft of rope which gets me closer to the 5:1 ratio. 300 ft of rope will push it out farther but getting an actual 7:1 will likely never happen.

I’m thinking about the fortress mainly because of the low profile, the cost, and weight. I understand it may not be as good as the newer spade and rocnas but I’m fairly limited on space and resources.

Thanks for the help
Juice

☝️ and they’re in stock at west marine for a quick turnaround.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I love my Fortress anchor on the Chesapeake bay. I have a high tensile Danforth as a backup. I feel very comfortable and secure at anchor overnight. I had a night with 45 knot gusts and the Fortress (FX-16) didn’t budge with 7:1 scope. 10 feet of chain. This was 12 feet of water in mud off off Cacaway Island. Pretty typical anchorage on the Chesapeake.
8A450A88-207B-498E-A71A-50DCF2AF9704.jpg