• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Winch Handle Holder

Don Taugher

Member II
On my 38-200, and I know on many other Ericson models, the starboard cockpit backrest has a pocket to hold "whatever". Through age mine has become brittle and cracked, and today I put a hole into it to see how bad the crack was, duh.

Anyone out there had experience replacing the original? Any help is appreciated.

Don Taugher
38-200 # 263
Running Free

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Don,
Same thing happened to ours- not sure who's brilliant idea it was to use plastic where the sun would shine on it:esad:
Ours is glassed in from the back- my plan is to cut it out with a dremmel, then glass in a standard model from WM or defender that fits. I have been putting it off because of the Cirque de Sole impression I'm going to have to do to get it out.
I thought about glassing in a new bottom, but the whole thing is pretty well shot, so I think I'm better off with the new one.
Chris

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Inspired...

Hey Don,
You inspired me to get to this project this week rather than putting it off anymore. I cut the box off with about 1/2" to spare all the way around with a dremmel, then pried and pulled until I got all the fiberglass tabbing out. Given that our Hull #'s are adjacent, I'm assuming you'll find the same massive amounts of caulk that I did. I went with the SSI plastics box with the net, since it is close to the actual size of the hole... which I'm hoping will allow for a lot less fill with cauk. Only issue is that the drain holes will no longer function, so you might want to try one that is taller to make the drain function as before.
I'm going to skip all the fiberglass so this isn't such a project next time. I think a nice gasket of 4200 will do the job along with some screws. Then just a touch of sealant on the inside corner of the new teak ring (skipping the screws on that this time).
Chris

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
built a new one

If your pocket is like my early one, I thought it way too small, so built a new one out of starboard about four times the size of the original. Now I have room for the horn, instrument covers, a couple of winch handles, and my preventer with room left over.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 #8

Glyn Judson

Re: Cockpit winch handle box replacements.

Don,

H&L Marine was the OEM for many teak parts on our boats and I positively know that to be the case with the winch handle boxes on the E31. There were four models on the E31 made by them, the first three being designed with a flat box bottom that trapped water which eventually rotted them out. The fourth design had (has) a slanted bottom promoting better drain through the scuppers built in to them in the case of all the designs.

The company is still alive and well and can best be reached by phone at 310.638.8746 here in SoCal. They are still making the latter design which in the case of my boat with the rotted third design ones, is a drop-in replacement.

They're an old world company who have conceded to modern communication demands by purchasing a fax machine. You can't email them and they don't have a web site. But you can call them to request a lovely catalog consisting single loose pages of beautiful color photographs of their vast product line. They'll take your address and within a few days a sizable package will show up on your door with the requested pages contained within.

Why not measure your box(es) before calling them to see if what they have are the same as yours and mine and other E31 owners. I have one in both port and starboard backrests by the way. You might want to create more storage space in your boat too at the same time if the room is there by purchasing two of them. Their quality is of a pretty high standard and they have even custom made a few parts for me that were perfect in every way compared to the drawing I sent them.

Hint: Despite the sloping bottoms, I have taken the added precaution to have Sunbrella covers made that snap on and off at each of the four corners of the boxes fascia.

Good luck and keep others posted as to your success, especially interested E38 owners suffering from the same problem.

Regards,

Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Don Taugher

Member II
To: Chris, Don and Glyn

Thanks for the input, I haven't done anything yet, but am leaning towards Chris's solution. As a quick fix, am going to put in a thin piece of varnished teak to cover the hole I made and make the holder functional. My long range plan is to replace as Chris suggested, attempting to keep as original as possible.

Happy Sailing.

Don Taugher
38-200 # 263