• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wet storage

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
A question for cruisers:

As I rebuild my interior, I intend to move the quarter berth aft slightly. The intention is to build an access hatch to allow some privacy, darkness, and less noise in there.

Forward of the berth, I think there would be room for a hanging area for wet clothing - after walking down the steps from the cockpit, waterproof clothing could be removed and hung to drain directly into the bilge. The alternative is to hang it in the head, involving walking, dripping, through the salon and having the gear swinging around in the head permanently whilst underway.

What I would have to sacrifice is a dedicated navigation station. I am thinking that would be worthwhile, since I would still have the main salon table when needed; and with the miniaturisation of computers gathering pace, something like a sony vaio ux in the cockpit would do much of the work the navigation station was designed for in the 60s.

Any thoughts?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Emerald

I wonder if something like what is on the Independence 31 would work. As you come down the companionway, to starboard is a small hanging wet locker, say 6"x6" - it has hooks not hangers and let's you remove that dripping garment and then locate it later to the dry hanging locker forward. If you look at the picture in this link, you can see it on Emerald, being used for general storage, of course.... :cool:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/misc/navstation-galley.jpg

Last edited:

jthistle

Member II
Nav station...wet locker

mmmm...Gareth. I too am redoing my interior. The nav station is too big for good access to the quarter berth. My initial thoughts are to make the table alot smaller and change the orientation by turning it 90 degrees - one would sit facing the hull. I'd be interested in you progress. Please post some snaps when you get started.

Cheers
Jason
Kestrel - 1972 E35 #268

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the picture, it does not look like things would dry very well in that space, so I was picturing a hanging area with a short pole for foul weather gear and hooks for life jackets.

It might well interfere with getting in and out of the berth, at least when full, but I really want to avoid having it all hanging in the head. The only other option would be rebuilding the nav station as you suggest, Jason, which I had thought about. I think I may end up rebuilding the berth, then the salon, and figuring out what there is room for inbetween them.

Morgan - good point about ventilation, my plan is to put a portlight into the cockpit well, close to the tiller so it does not interfere with standing in the cockpit at a high angle of heel. When it rains, it will get hot in there, but that is true of the whole boat. If the staysail arrangement allows it, I may put a vent in the deck next to the companionway hatch, then the door to the aft berth would have to be left open for air.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Emerald

Hi Gareth,

not going to pretend things will air out and dry hanging in the Independence 31 "wet locker", but at least it lets the major dripping occur so your not shedding water everywhere.....

Your observation (and the fact that the Chesapeake seldom throws anything other than a thunderstorm at you that will make you really wet) is probably why mine has been used for stowage :egrin:

Glyn Judson

Drying wet clothes aboard.

David and all, I have a small Force 10 propane heater on the port, forward cabin bulkhead and mounted ring for a clothes hanger on the overhead just far enough away to keep anything from hitting the heater even when under way. I don't know if this could be a solution for some. Of course there's always the possibility that one could hang stuff in the head as well, even on a removable clothes rod. Later, Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA