• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help - wind instrument

ref_123

Member III
Hi all,

I have a Navman Wind 3100 for the past 3 years, and generally I am happy with it. Lately though I suspect the measurements are kind of low - I see white caps all around but the thing only shows 17 kts of wind...

So, two questions for the knowlegeable people:
1) Although a manual does not say anything, should the rotating masthead unit be oiled or cleaned periodically?
2) Any cjance someone has a hand-held anemometer that I can borrow to calibrate myt instrument? I know people recommend to calibrate it by the boat speed in a windless day by motoring - there is always SOME wind here on the bay...

Thanks,
Stanly

treilley

Sustaining Partner
White caps in 17kts sounds right to me but it could depend on the fetch. A hand anemometer will not help you calibrate the unit unless you climb the mast. Wind on the surface can vary greatly from the wind aloft. Water and land cause friction so it may be lower down on the deck of your boat. Maybe compare your reading with some friend's to see how they compare.

I am unsure about the Navman but I think most have sealed bearings and when they go, the cups stop spinning. Check your manual.