• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

EY.o 2.0 - Upgrade & Bug Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Personally I really like the Navy Blue with the cropped Gold Logo. I think it works much better than the old turquoise background. I like the warm gray background. Soothing to look at when you look at this site as much as I do.

IMHO,

-Professional Graphic Artist / Designer for over 30 years, but what do I know.

:devil:

Thank you... I, an architect-in-training-trying-to-learn-aesthetic-senseabilities-from-artist/architect-friends, really appreciate the comment... I was trying to combat my stricter side so... You should see what some of my buildings are starting to look like now... :rolleyes:

Now I need to find the switch for this pesky navy blue outline that has come up around all the frames of the forums..

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Old Style Deleted

Oh, also: the old aqua-blue style has been deleted now - so ALL you should see is this new tan style. If anyone sees anything different, please send me an email, and let me know - as jumping from one style to another is new to me....

Thanks,
//sse

ahhhh - that was an easy one.... :)

Maine Sail

Member III
Site looks great. Unfortunately it seems we've lost the auto formatting for wide screen monitors. The forums are all squished to one side of my monitor? I am presuming this is just a different "skin" for v-bulletin but the formatting should be easily fixable..??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Site looks great. Unfortunately it seems we've lost the auto formatting for wide screen monitors. The forums are all squished to one side of my monitor? I am presuming this is just a different "skin" for v-bulletin but the formatting should be easily fixable..??

Using a 24" iMac, I now notice the same issue with the narrower page display. Not really a big deal, but the "auto format" feature was indeed nice.
There certainly is lot that goes into building and maintaining a big site like this! No wonder good web sites are rather rare.
:cool:
Cheers,
Loren

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sean,

Nice color scheme. Ditto on the truncated helmet on the upper-most banner. Since I have a 17" Widescreen Macbook pro and a 22" Widescreen display, and use Safari and Firefox, I'll have some more comments. Here is a screenshot of the main Forum page and the formatting problem. Same problem in Mac Firefox 3.0.7. and Mac Safari 3.21, and Windows Firefox on Parallels 3 for Mac, under Win 2K.

It's still usable, just squished.

Also the old mainframe.htm bookmark loads the turquoise and dark blue just like the old days. The top banner persists when selecting the forums. Putting in the URL www.ericsonyachts.org by itself gets me the new splash screen - it is slow to load as mentioned above. Still kind of cool though.

The first post of a thread is strangely formatted also, but the replies are basically OK. See second screenshot. I discovered as I browsed that if a file is attached to a thread starter or a reply, the format corrects itself.

Nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing it get finished. Thanks for everything.

Attachments

• Firefox--Win2K-Parallels-Mac.jpg
    Firefox--Win2K-Parallels-Mac.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 65
  • thread-display.jpg
    thread-display.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Align Center Instead?

Ok - ok:

I'll un-align left the forums tomorrow - and bring them back to center (too late to do it tonight), and will find a way to make the menu (on the Info Exchange only) also center - that way you can widen the info exchange - but the other parts of the site will stay alinged left (unless you want all of it in the center?)....

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Old Colors; Window Dims; Splash Screen; Missing Graphics; 1st Post in Thread...

...still usable, just squished....

Also the old mainframe.htm bookmark loads the turquoise and dark blue just like the old days. The top banner persists when selecting the forums.

...new splash screen - it is slow to load ...

The first post of a thread is strangely formatted also...

...the "auto format" feature was indeed nice.

• Auto sizing issue has been settled; the window is aligned left, but will stretch the forums on larger screens. Note, however that the input windows are also back to their original size (about 550 pixels, I believe) in width - so if that's an issue, please let me know.
  • I'm looking into the splash screen today. The morphing software I used turned out a 28mb file - the reason for the lag. If I cannot reduce it in weight, I may change that splash screen for a static image, etc - we'll see....
  • I've not noticed the issue you mentioned on the first post - I'll take a look at that in a second.
  • There are some missing graphics on this new version of vB. Since I do all the upgrades sans graphics (as we have too many custom ones of our own), I'll have to go to their new files and yank out the images and drop them in....
  • Regarding the old color scheme: If you are seeing the old color scheme, you are viewing temp files on your box. So, either logout and then login again (deleting/overwriting the login cookie), and/or - better yet, just blow out all your temp internet files (always a good idea - keeps down the spyware and malware). The old color scheme (and in this case the old mainframe.htm file) have been deleted from the server. :nerd:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Sean,
Getting changes in format to stick must be like a weird varitation of "whack a Mole!" :)
Now the width resizes on the fly, which is neat, but the labels over the columns are all stacked up on the left side again.
(sigh)

Loren

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
...width resizes on the fly, which is neat, but the labels over the columns are all stacked up on the left side again.

Done - was an issue in the table header and footer sections that Firefox picks up on....see attached.

Let me know if you see other stuff....

Attachments

• Firefox Alignment Corrected.jpg
    Firefox Alignment Corrected.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 49

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sean,

Even more outstanding than last night. Looks like you fixed everything I've seen that was a little out of kilter (with a nod to Hodo).

My Project finally splashes on Thursday, April 2nd.
:cheers:
Thanks Sean!

msFootrope

Splash Screens

From the home page, I clicked on the splash screen to view all of the possible screens and got the following message:

msFootrope, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I was able to view the splash screens on the old web site, so I'm not sure what's happening here. I'm running IE 7.0. :(

Upon further exploration, it appears that I cannot get to any of the four galleries nor any of the owner & project pages. It seems like my account is messed up somehow. Craig can get to all of these pages.

Oh, other than that, so far I like the new site!

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
From the home page, I clicked on the splash screen to view all of the possible screens and got the following message:

msFootrope, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I was able to view the splash screens on the old web site, so I'm not sure what's happening here. I'm running IE 7.0. :(

Oh, other than that, so far I like the new site!

Hi Ellen -

Oh, that's probably just the permissions setttings (as you have multiple authority levels) on the downloads hack that rides on the vB software...I'll check that in the morning. Let me know if you can hit anything else out there (projects, boat galleries, etc).

Thanks,
//sse

noproblemo2

Member III
new look

Wow Sean, you have been busy "remodeling" this siite. As an "old timer" here I was surprised to see the changes, but I do like it. Great job, Thank You..:cheers:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
...it appears that I cannot get to any of the four galleries nor any of the owner & project pages...other than that, so far I like the new site!

Wow Sean, you have been busy "remodeling" this siite. As an "old timer" here I was surprised to see the changes, but I do like it. Great job, Thank You..:cheers:
Thanks for the compliments, both of you. Ellen, I looked at the software, and the moderators needed to be selected on several of the permissions - however your account had only the moderators permissions - so I reversed them so that you have all the ranks (moderators and the standard user rights) - so you should be set (either that, or it will be really screwed up - I guess we'll find out which, eh? :egrin:)

My classes start tomorrow - but I'll check the board tomorrow night after dinner. If there are more issues, please advise....

Thanks!
//sse

msFootrope

G1 - Splash Screen, G2 - Boat Gallery, and the Rest

Hi Ellen -

Oh, that's probably just the permissions setttings (as you have multiple authority levels) on the downloads hack that rides on the vB software...I'll check that in the morning. Let me know if you can hit anything else out there (projects, boat galleries, etc).

Thanks,
//sse

Looks like you fixed the problem. I'll let you know if I have any other problems. Otherwise, the site seems to be running smoothly. I even found a couple of the pictures I submitted in the Boat Gallery. I'm definitely enjoying the new site and what I've been able to see so far. Thanks for all the excellent work you do and also for your quick fix to my problem. I feel whole again. :egrin:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Sean, Love the new look!
icon14.gif
One tiny little recommendation, Is it possible to enlarge, or enbolden the little arrow for the "Last Post"? It normally shows up as an arrow inside of a box on most vB sites.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sean, Love the new look!
icon14.gif
One tiny little recommendation, Is it possible to enlarge, or enbolden the little arrow for the "Last Post"? It normally shows up as an arrow inside of a box on most vB sites.

Thanks

Are you talking about this tiny thing? You know - if you just click on the title of the thread in that same window, it'll take you right to the last post...

//sse

Attachments

• lastpost.gif
    lastpost.gif
    820 bytes · Views: 145

sleather

Sustaining Member
Are you talking about this tiny thing? You know - if you just click on the title of the thread in that same window, it'll take you right to the last post...

//sse

Yep, that ">" little thingy. :egrin:
http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/search.php?searchid=276010

Title, gets me the 1st page, p3 is top, is there some setting?

Edit, OK, figured it out.:nerd: IF I'm on the site long enough(and not logged on) the update icon appears in front of the title and it goes to the latest unread posts. I clean all my cookies and stuff everyday so I'm used to using the Last Post ">" thingy w/o being logged on to the site.. ;)

Last edited:

Joe

Member II
Tag Clouds

I notice that the two 'Tag Clouds' (one from the pull-down Search menu, the other under Advanced Search) display different lists of common tags. Any reason for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.