• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

long shaft o/b on e29

glen_dc

Member II
My Atomic-4 is getting rebuilt. Can I put a long shaft o/b directly on the transom or I will have to put o/b mount?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I don’t know how you would mount it on the transom and the shaft would have to be over three feet long to reach the water. Deck to the water line is about 33” at the transom. I wouldn’t cut drill or any other form mess my boat up for a temporary engine mount.

Could you modify a large trolling motor by extending the shaft and clamp it onto the stern rail post? This would not butcher your boat and would give you power to get out when winds are light. How long is the rebuild taking?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Sculling would be a good temporary measure. You'll learn a new (simple) skill, and it'll cost you probably $100, instead of $1000. I'm sure you can temporarily attach a lock of some sort to your stern rail. I'm blanking on the name of the couple who have used this technique to cruise their heavy 30-something-footers all around the world for decades, with no engine aboard Taliesin.

Lin and Larry Pardy.

Last edited:

glen_dc

Member II
Sculling and trolling motor...

I did not know about these two options. Thanks, let me google for sculling. It's quite amazing that it's possible to use oars on such heavy cruiser. I am getting a rebuilt A-4 in a week and probably will take a week to install.

I bought my E-29 just a month ago and every weekend without sailing is too painful...

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If you are docked with open access sail out and in, if moored sail away and back. You will need help to do this but I sail out and in often at my dock. I do have open access in a sheltered cove.
Did you know there is a rumor going around that sailing boats at one time had no motors at all?
Who would believe that?
Congratulations on an excellent choice of boat,

Last edited: