• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Serendipity, E-39B - SOLD -

Nina & rico

Serendipity

Hi Lew: my wife and I are looking for an Ericson, we currently own a westsail....send me your direct email address if you still have Serendipity for sale.
Lawrence

There is nothing I can say that will lighten this load. I have to sell Serendipity. When I retired several years ago I took a huge risk and pursued a lifelong dream. It didn't work out. Couple that with the additional burden of helping two kids get through college and you can begin to understand the financial constraints around here. I'm sick about it, but there are no options unless I can rig the state lottery system. Anyway...

Serendipity is a 1977 Ericson 39B. She is in good shape. The engine is a Perkins 4-108 with less than 400 hours. The main and genoa are what the brokers call "serviceable", which means they should be replaced if you plan to go cruising. The spinnaker is in new condition as is the working jib. There is the standard mixed bag of electronic aids - a Garmin 2010C heads the list - and a bunch of accumulated bits of gear that will go to the new owner.

I am asking $49K. Make me an offer that will spin my head around.

Lew Decker

Member III
Nina and Rico,

Thanks for your interest. Serendipity is still available. I sent you a PM with my email address so drop me a note and I will return it with a lot more info on the boat.

Lew Decker

Member III
Well...Serendipity is still here. I had an offer from a very wonderful couple who would have been a perfect fit, but they suffered a family tragedy just before things were finalized and they had to back away. I don't know what else can go wrong. Under the circumstances, selling Serendipity became meaningless. My biggest concern was for the buyers - they suddenly had some difficult decisions to make and there was nothing I could do to help.

Anyway, now that the economy of the entire universe is in the tank, I'm sitting here with a beautiful boat I can't sell. My Kharma is worse than the economy.

Thanks for the nod, Guy. I'll post a notice immediately if Serendipity sells. Hmmmm. Who am I trying to kid?:egrin:

mwE29

Curious

I was wondering if you have sold the boat. I have read about your difficulties in finding her a new home. I have been living on my E29 for the last 3 years and about 4 months ago my girlfriend moved aboard with me full time. She had been doing the apt/boat thing for the previous time period. Now that she is here full time we quickly found out that we need more space. I would love to chat with you about your beautiful boat. Please feel free to call or email.

(phone number and email redacted by admin - forwarded to the threadstarter)

emagin

SF Bay Sailor
Hello, I am also interested if she's still avail.
Did any of the previous potential buyers have her surveyed?
What came up, generally speaking.

Please PM me.

Lew Decker

Member III
:esad:Well...Serendipity has wandered out of my life and settled with some new owners. I am sorry to see her go, but there are some positive things happening that will give her a new life, something I couldn't afford to do. She will shine again. I am grateful that the new owners are willing to do what it takes to get Serendipity back to where she can strut her offshore capabilities.

Thank you all for the notes of support, and for all those who came down to look at Serendipity. I enjoyed my time with everyone. I met a lot of great people along the way - even one moron :egrin: - but it was a good experience. I wish it hadn't taken a year, but in the end, Serendipity came away with the best owners possible. If I had put conditions on prospective buyers, the results couldn't have been more perfect.

I will use my boating time to pursue another dream. Some day I may be successful, and if that happens I'll be shopping again. I could easily wind up with another Ericson.

I enjoy the Ericson site and will lurk along with the rest of you. Unless I get kicked off:rolleyes: for selling out. Anyway, thanks again. You are the best.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats!

Hi Lew -

Glad to hear of the sale - the new owner is getting a great boat - I'm sorry she's moving out of your life however. I am happy that this will take some of the pressure off of you - especially in these trying times.

Please know that you are considered a member of this site's family - and once an Ericson owner, always an Ericson owner. We value your visits and input, and as other former owners know (including me) we hope that you'll stick around and share your knowledge with everyone.

:egrin:

Fair Winds,
//sse

Sven

Seglare
Hi Lew,

Well...Serendipity has wandered out of my life and settled with some new owners. I am sorry to see her go, but there are some positive things happening that will give her a new life, something I couldn't afford to do. She will shine again. I am grateful that the new owners are willing to do what it takes to get Serendipity back to where she can strut her offshore capabilities.

We were sorry to take her away from you but happy that we could after your earlier attempts to sell her fell through.

Thanks for the shakedown harbor cruise yesterday. Too bad you couldn't join us for lunch. Their tuna melt was almost as good as the pastrami.

I'm still amazed at your handiwork ... the cabin headliner and the table. Very nice work !

The water heater is still a mystery, the cable goes to the circuit breaker and the breaker is not tripped but for some reason the heater doesn't, except through the heat exchanger. Life without mysteries would be boring :)

It was a real pleasure going through the transaction with you, your Bride and your Number One Son. Please relay our best wishes to them too.

Now we just want to hear that Todd and Joanna arrived safely in Ventura on La Petite.

Busy week !

-Sven (and Nancy)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sven, it sounds like the element in your heater may be bad.
You can test it with an ohm meter.

Turn off the power to the heater first and disconnect the two wires to the elements. Set the meter to the "OHM" function, and check the flow between the two screw connectors of the elements: If there is a positive reading, then the circuit is "closed" and the element is fine; if there is no reading, the circuit is "open" and a new element is needed. Also, if you get a reading on your meter between either of the screw connections and the metal element, the element is shorted and must be replaced.
You should expect an approximation of the following readings on the OHM meter (give or take a little) for functioning elements:

• 15.5 ohms for 3500 watts
  • 13.0 ohms for 4500 watts
  • 10.0 ohms for 5500 watts

John Cyr

Member II
Congrats!

Hey Lew, congratulations on selling Serendipity! I was the Commercial Helicopter pilot who came to look at her. I had (have) just too many projects going to handle her (see my other post) She was however, beautiful and I enjoyed meeting you and seeing her! hope all in the deal have good luck. John

Sven

Seglare
Where is the boat now, and does the new owner post about her?

Just got back to San Diego after a week at Catalina with the Viking Berserker Bash crowd. 11 Vikings were on board for her formal de-re-naming to Senta II on Friday.

-Sven