• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Serendipity, E-39B - SOLD -

Lew Decker

Member III
There is nothing I can say that will lighten this load. I have to sell Serendipity. When I retired several years ago I took a huge risk and pursued a lifelong dream. It didn't work out. Couple that with the additional burden of helping two kids get through college and you can begin to understand the financial constraints around here. I'm sick about it, but there are no options unless I can rig the state lottery system. Anyway...

Serendipity is a 1977 Ericson 39B. She is in good shape. The engine is a Perkins 4-108 with less than 400 hours. The main and genoa are what the brokers call "serviceable", which means they should be replaced if you plan to go cruising. The spinnaker is in new condition as is the working jib. There is the standard mixed bag of electronic aids - a Garmin 2010C heads the list - and a bunch of accumulated bits of gear that will go to the new owner.

I am asking $49K. Make me an offer that will spin my head around.

* * * As of Nov 21st, 2008 - this boat has been sold * * *

Attachments

• Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 631
  • P1010169.jpg
    P1010169.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Lew,

Melissa and I are so sorry to read that you must part with your beautiful Serendipity. We know how much work you put into her, and it is a real shame. Someone is going to get awfully lucky taking her off your hands.

For what it's worth to interested parties, this ia a great boat for both living aboard and cruising. We have lived aboard for the last 4 years and just completed a year long cruise on our 39-B down the Pacific coast of Mexico and across to Hawaii and back to SF Bay. The sailing performance of the boat was fantastic and we did at least as good (and often times better) as many newer boats that you would expect to be faster. In particular, this is a boat that LOVES to sail upwind.

Good luck with everything Lew.

Frank G

Member II
Hey Lew,
Totally beautiful boat. I live in the East, and am looking for an E-32, otherwise I would buy it.
I hope that you post more pics so we can all drool over it.
Fair winds, and following seas.
Frank

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Lew -

I was really distressed to hear that you're selling your boat... I hope you don't mind, but I uploaded one of the images to the new gallery section of the new site - you can visit it here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?catid=52&page=3

Please feel free to add/edit the description, etc (you should be able to do it at this point - or email me and let me know, and I can take care of it.

I guess I don't need to say it, but I hope that you'll keep hanging around this site. We need knowledgeable owners like you, and you are very much welcome and wanted here...

Best wishes to you -

//sse

Lew Decker

Member III
Thanks for the kind words, Sean. I haven't been around the board much, at least from a posting standpoint, but I haven't disappeared. My passive nature in the marketing department is showing in living color, so Serendipity is still waiting for a new owner. I'm not any good at business, period:rolleyes:, or I wouldn't be selling Serendipity. Anyway, I haven't listed with a broker yet but that might be coming soon. I really have to sell out.

Greg and Melissa - I was more than surprised to see you want to sell Pacifica, but then I read the fine print. I am jealous that you get to move up and all I get to do is move out of sight:egrin:. The Hylas 47 is a fine boat and very well made. I worked in the Queen Long yard in Taiwan when they first started the Hylas line and I knew then they would be a big success. At the time - early 80's - they were building the Kelly/Peterson 46 for the company I worked for and the Stevens 47, both good boats as well. I hope you work out the details and that Pacifica finds some new owners who will treat her as well as you have. If anyone comes snooping around here looking for a well-equipped cruising boat, I will steer them in your direction. If you find some buyers who want an original 39B that resembles a blank canvas, send them my way. Best of luck, you two. You are the best.

Skip Jim

Member II
Lew,

Sorry to hear you have to sell your boat.

How much clearance do you have going under the bridge? I had an E 35 ll in S. D. Harbor and sold it last year, but thought that the bridge was too low for my 35 to enter Mission Bay. Can the slip go with the boat?

Jim

noproblemo2

Member III
Lew I'm very sorry that you have to see your dream end, I can only hope that you will find a way to someday have that dream again:esad:

Lew Decker

Member III
I just posted some fresh pics of Serendipity - and then deleted them all:egrin:. I didn't want to steal Greg and Melissa's thunder. I told you I wasn't any good at business:rolleyes:.

What are the odds that two of the 20 E39B's turn up for sale at the same time on the board??? Either we have bad Kharma, or, people will flock to the site just to see the spectacle of two great boats fighting it out to the finish in a massive bidding war that ends in a couple of quick sales.

I rather like that second scenario.

noproblemo2

Member III
Lew, post the pics anyway, at the time we sold our beloved NoProblemo in Sept. there were 2 E-380's for sale with the same broker, we both had our haul out surveys the same day, same time, same shipyard, BOTH sold!!! Tis actually a longer story as you will see from my prior posts, but in the end, happy for all involved.:egrin:

OffshoreDreamer

We are looking to buy a boat right now

Lew,

Greg Davis in Berkeley pointed out your ad for Serendipity. Sorry to hear about your circumstances but I am looking for a cruising boat right now.

Please contact me as soon as possible.

Best,
Steve Stein
(916) 801-1397
sstein@astadia.com

OffshoreDreamer

I Am Not A Broker

Mr. Decker,

Just in case you are wondering - I AM NOT A BROKER - I am a private party looking for a boat right now.

Best Regards,
STEVE

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Everyone: When you click on someone's name, one of the dialog box choices you get is to send that person a short email...

Loren

Last edited:

Lew Decker

Member III
Here are some pics of Serendipity from a few weeks ago. It rained that day but, around here, that is a blessing.
P1010197.jpg

P1010192.jpg

P1010195.jpg

P1010182-1.jpg

P1010176.jpg

P1010173-1.jpg

P1010172-2.jpg

P1010171-3.jpg

P1010169-2.jpg

sleather

Sustaining Member
What a Name!

Lew, If only my situation was different;), Beautiful boat! I hope she finds a "good" home!

I have some dear friends here in Madison that have a "fully" restored '55 Chris Craft Continental w/ the "same" name.
I understand it was quite pricey to have the name hand painted, w/ gold leaf, on their transom(it barely fit).

I hope the name can stay w/ the boat, as the definition is so poetic!:egrin:

Good Luck in your future endeavors!

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Matey l@@ks cool w/the Ericson/hord helmet on....some great shots !!

:egrin:

Lew,

Melissa and I are so sorry to read that you must part with your beautiful Serendipity. We know how much work you put into her, and it is a real shame. Someone is going to get awfully lucky taking her off your hands.

For what it's worth to interested parties, this ia a great boat for both living aboard and cruising. We have lived aboard for the last 4 years and just completed a year long cruise on our 39-B down the Pacific coast of Mexico and across to Hawaii and back to SF Bay. The sailing performance of the boat was fantastic and we did at least as good (and often times better) as many newer boats that you would expect to be faster. In particular, this is a boat that LOVES to sail upwind.

Good luck with everything Lew.

Lew Decker

Member III
I thought I had my boat sold but the deal turned out to be more of an ordeal. The prospective owners have decided to go in another direction so Serendipity is still available. Time and financial constraints are pressing. I'm willing to sharpen my pencil. PM me if you are interested.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
good lucl Drew...she looks very nice...someone will get a solid, well appointed ericson for a great price (imho)... :nerd:

someone will come along who knows ericsons....then...poof...she'll be gone...

I thought I had my boat sold but the deal turned out to be more of an ordeal. The prospective owners have decided to go in another direction so Serendipity is still available. Time and financial constraints are pressing. I'm willing to sharpen my pencil. PM me if you are interested.

Lew Decker

Member III
Serendipity is still here waiting for someone to fall in love. There are no offers right now :esad: - I've dropped the asking price to $49K, but as the pirates might say, that number is only a guideline. I'm ready to sharpen some pencils. I can use them to adjust the asking price or to sell on the street if no offers turn up. :)