• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32 vs. 35 for singlehanding?

Frank G

Member II
Hi there,
I'm still looking for an E-32 late model. I just missed one in Maine by a couple of days.
Sometimes I single hand out on our lake here in Knoxville. I currently own a Catalina 25 and it's no problem. One of my fellow club members single hands his Ericson 32 with no problem, and the owner of the32 which I rejected on survey singlehands his, so I think I can handle it. I notice that for not too much more money I could buy a 35. How much difficult would it be to single hand that one? Does anybody else out there do it?
Another question about the 35. I know that in the 32 when you drop down the dinette table you get a bed about 6'4" long. How big is the dinette in the 35? Does the larger head area encroach on the dinette? I'm 6'2" and would like to be able to stretch out in the main area after the table is lowered
Any other thoughts about 32 vs 35?
I'm hoping to be an Ericson owner in the near future.
Thanks
Frank Gloss

Frank,
I can't help you at all about the inside of a 32 vs a 35. Sorry about that. However, when one singlehands a boat of their size, you have to have things rigged up that will prevent you from going over the side. It's my opinion that a 27-foot boat--which is what my Ericson is--happens to be the limit that a guy can easily run alone. The operative word is "easily." When you get to bigger boats and bigger sails, you just have to do everything a lot earlier, because there is no one to help you and the loads are greater. If you never make a mistake, then you'll probably get by. On the other hand, sailing with another person just about doubles your fun, because it halves your personal responsibility and the pucker factor. I used to sail a lot solo. Now I rarely do. I've gotten older, for one thing, and more appreciative of the risks involved, and I just don't want to work as hard as I used to do. If you don't have a good crew member in sight, find one. I did 20 years back and we're still sailing and enjoying it. The teamwork is very gratifying.
Morgan Stinemetz

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"One Hand for Yourself, and One for.... "

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4510&referrerid=28

Using the Search function for this site I found this thread, among some other mentions of single handing.

While I agree generally with Morgan (and his crew Bubba...), I have found that single handing my 34 footer to be almost as easy as my prior 26 foot sailboat.

Cheers,
Loren

ps: do look at that E-33 in TX (of course it probably only seems like it's next door to you from my vantage point up in the NW!)

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My 35-3 was very easy to single hand. All lines ran to the cockpit, and I could tack easily from behind the wheel. She's light enough to muscle around at the dock, yet big enough to entertain 4-6 on easily...

The only issue I ran into (and this would have been a problem on smaller boats as well) was the very, very nasty cross-wind I had at my slip in the late afternoons....if I was alone...

//sse

Frank G

Member II
my schedule in the OR varies. If I get off in the early afternoon, and the wind is blowing, I'll go sailing on the spur of the moment. No time to round someone up. Besides most of my friends have jobs.
Maybe I can meet a rich female who will support me.

Therefore, sometimes I single hand.

Of course it's more fun with more people.

So Sean, what is the size of the dinette/bed when you lower the table?
Thanks
Frank

corkhead

Julian Ashton
32 vs 35

Don't know about 32, but I have been singlehanded sailing my 86 35 III on the SF Bay for several years. It's fine provided the rigging is convenient. The challenges sometimes are:
1.Docking in cross wind, but not too bad if dock lines are prepared
2. Raising and Lowering Main in strong wind conditions, the autohelm comes in handy if really bad
3. Obviously if you want to fly an assymetrical or other non main/jib sail it it problematic

Sleeping/resting
I have rested on the salon table/double berth and I would say it is about 6'3' or 4'
I am just over 6'2" and find it pretty good. I prefer the v-berth for several reasons:
1. it's always ready, no set up,
2. more comfortable, the matress is not as lumpy do to less pieces
3. can shut the door for privacy

I also like the quarter berth and would pick that location 2nd to the v-berth. It is very long and pretty cozy. I do have to move gear that I store in there however.

Finallyfor just a qwik rest I enjoy the starboard side settee, It is really quite comfortable and extremely accesible.
Julian

Single handing an E35

I found my E-35 to be easy to single hand once I installed a pair of 2-speed self tailers back by the wheel. Having the main sheet and traveler right in front of the wheel was very convenient. I still had to go to the mast to raise the main but I didn't find this to be much of a problem. As I got older the forces involved began to be a tire me by the end of a long day but functionally it was cake.

The double formed by the dinette was quite large. I didn't measure it but a 6'3" guest said it was one of the best he had tried. The v-berth on the 35 is generous as well. For sometime I used the quarter berth as it too is quite large.

We have since moved to a 30' for slip reasons and do miss the space on the 35.

Vern

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Morgan,

I moved up from a Paceship 29 to an E 35 III this spring. The displacement more than doubled. At first, I wasn't sure if I could see the top of the mast on the new boat.

Docking in tight quarters is the only single handing issue, in my opinion. I have a stack pack for the main which creates some windage. The 35 mark III handles extremely well; carries its weigh in a predictable fashion.

With autopilot and realistic sail size, single handing shouldn't be an issue.

Steve Murray
E 35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI

jkm

Member III
Frank

Here's my .01 worth.

I used to sail a Catalina 27 both in LA and on Lake Tahoe. Single handed it was a great boat, pointed well, easy to sail and fairly quick. Frankly I think it is the best day sailer ever.

When I moved up to a e35 I got alot of boat. My boat is not set up to sail single handedly-could be with enough money. It is a two person boat, hands down. Just getting out of the slip with the famous Ericson "Reverse" can be a task.

It is a great sailer as I go to Catalina quite regularily and frequently the weather turns to howlin' and I feel quite safe.
12000 lbs is alot of boat and a comfort.

I have a U shaped dinette and without the seat back cushions has plenty of stretching out room for two.

I find the e35 a great value for your money, very comfortable for those long weekends and well constructed.

There have at it and good luck.

John

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat is not set up for single handing at all, but I found doing so in San Diego to be fairly straighforward, where everything was predictable and never got out of hand. In Pensacola, when the squalls came through, I would often drop the sails, and sometimes the anchor, rather than have to deal with a hung up sheet on too much sail for the sudden blasts of wind.

Although I prefer having crew on board, there is a certain challenge in being out alone with your boat on the sea. And, of course, there are the days you really want to sail, and your crew stands you up.

There are a number of modifications you could make to an E35 that would make single handing manageable, if that is your goal. But Morgan is right, the larger you go, the harder it is, and the more crucial to be prepared and ahead of the game so you do not get into problems you need a second pair of hands for.

Where Morgan is wrong is the ease of finding good crew. I credit him with true adulation having seen his pictures of Miss Brinkley et al crewing for him; but in some places you may live, especially where the navy has a large presence, you might as well be looking for an orchid in a septic tank.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can single hand my E38 but I don't much. The reason is the wheelpilot is dead. For me, the biggest issues are raising sail and tacking. Dropping the rags is easy but hoisting requires bow into the wind, tough to do without a decent Otto. I can do it but its one hand on the wheel to correct and then back to the halyard, etc. Tacking is an issue as well. To tack, wheel hard over and pop the jib sheet. Go directly to the opposite winch and start tailing line. About halfway through the jib triming I need to correct course, let the boat settle in and then get back to cranking on the winch. It keeps you busy. A good Otto will make this much simpler. When I install the new unit you can bet that single handing will be much more frequent. Oh yeah, I am on a mooring. Getting back to it is pretty simple. Ease up to pickup stick, quick shot of reverse to stop boat then go forward and grab the stick. Not too bad even in 20kts. RT

Frank G

Member II
So it seems that single handing a 35 is not out of the question. I'm fairly fit for a 56 year old fart as I go to the gym a few times a week. Single handing when it is capping is a good workout too.
Single handing a 38, Wow, I'm impressed.
I have the lines led aft and use rope clutches on my Catalina 25. Don't use my tiller pilot as that's too easy.

I may fly down to south Florida in Mid August. On yachtworld.com you can find a 32 in Burnt Store Florida, and two 35's in Punta Gorda. If you have a chance, take a look and let me know what you think.
Of course I would prefer a fresh water boat, or a Maine boat, but like Mick Jagger sings, You can't always get what you want..........

CaptDan

Member III
My 35-3 was very easy to single hand. All lines ran to the cockpit, and I could tack easily from behind the wheel. She's light enough to muscle around at the dock, yet big enough to entertain 4-6 on easily...

The only issue I ran into (and this would have been a problem on smaller boats as well) was the very, very nasty cross-wind I had at my slip in the late afternoons....if I was alone...

//sse

I single hand my E35-2 frequently. The original owner was a single handed TransPac sailor and rigged the boat for that purpose. Here's the laundry list of goodies I think are essential to single handing a boat this size:

1. Large primary winches located aft and near the helm. The original Barlow
20s - placed forward for race crew/tiller steering - are useless for single handing with a wheel. If you buy a boat equipped this way, you'll have to invest in the upgrade, otherwise tacking the boat becomes a gargantuan task without crew.

2. Main, jib halyards, (unless rollerfurling equipped - another single handed must-have), and vang lines lead to a rope clutch on the aft part of coach roof. With the large E35II cockpit, this placement requires a bit of acrobatics to manage (unless you have an autohelm), but the alternative is worse.

3. Attachment points in cockpit and on various deck points for safety harness. Probably not important if sailing in protected, calm waters, but essential for offshore work.

4. Upgraded traveler. Something like a Garhauer or Harken 4-1 purchase block system is highly recommended. The original curved track, rail-stopper arrangement is virtually braindead in practical, single handed use.

The E35II is rather tender, and the traveler/vang lines are important controls on this boat. In light air, you'll be traveling up; in heavy blows - WAY down. A rope-purchase traveler will make adjustments much easier and safer when things pipe up. (I've yet to follow my own advice here.:rolleyes:)

5. A manageable mains'l reefing system. The stock slab reefing is workable with a crew, but very difficult single handing. Single line reefing is highly recommended (another thing I've yet to upgrade, but I set my reefs at the dock ahead of time.)

6. Docking practice. Sean's right on the money about this - especially if your berth suffers a beam or stern wind.

I've found that pre-adjusting my dock lines for length, and keeping them ready at hand when docking makes life much easier. Also, rigging a bow line to grab when jumping off the boat keeps her from slipping away in a blow - especially in single finger or Med-tie berths.

Other than that, the E35II can be managed by a single sailor with some practice. In fact, it's often preferable to having to deal with green or incompetent crew.:egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Mainsail purchase, 4:1 or more?

All, Dan brings up all good points but I'd like to add a little something regarding main sail purchase. Our E31 has a 210 square foot main and I control it with a 5:1 purchase of Harken low friction blocks. Recently I've become aware of the eternal difficulty in controlling in stiff winds it even with that ratio and am considering 6:1 or more (Could it be that I'm getting older and weaker?.....Naaah). Genrally speaking the 5:1 is fine on a Sunday afternoon in light to moderate winds, but let it blow a bit heavier and all of a sudden sheeting in the main is like pulling concrete blocks over gravel with a dog leash. Even the cam cleat gives me fits, refusing to release under the loads created by that 210 feet. I'm in the porcess of talking with Harken to come up with a fix that will work for both Marilyn and me. Stay tuned, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All, Dan brings up all good points but I'd like to add a little something regarding main sail purchase. Our E31 has a 210 square foot main and I control it with a 5:1 purchase of Harken low friction blocks. Recently I've become aware of the eternal difficulty in controlling in stiff winds it even with that ratio and am considering 6:1 or more (Could it be that I'm getting older and weaker?.....Naaah). Genrally speaking the 5:1 is fine on a Sunday afternoon in light to moderate winds, but let it blow a bit heavier and all of a sudden sheeting in the main is like pulling concrete blocks over gravel with a dog leash. Even the cam cleat gives me fits, refusing to release under the loads created by that 210 feet. I'm in the porcess of talking with Harken to come up with a fix that will work for both Marilyn and me. Stay tuned, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

I copy-pasted a little mainsheet diagram from the Harken site -- this is the factory 6:1 Harken system on our 34 footer. I would not want any less... and in strong winds a "gross / fine tune" ( 4 / 8 : 1) system might be better.

Loren

Attachments

• main1a.gif
    main1a.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 222

jkm

Member III
Loren

That's a very helpful picture!

Think I'll be lookin at what I can do to my baby between beers on Saturday.

John

Glyn Judson

New sheet purchase purchase, the continuing saga.

John, Loren and all, Well it looks like the jury has returned. I spent a while on the phone this morning talking to the good folks at Harken and we pretty much agreed that their #383 system comprizing #386, #385 and #1540 blocks mated together to give a two-speed gross/fine system delivering 4:1 and 8:1 when needed should answer our needs. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Single handing a 38, Wow, I'm impressed.
/QUOTE]

Don't be so impressed. I just hack around the bay. Depending on how the boat is setup you can move yourself to make the setup work better. I find if I sit in front of the wheel, instead of behind it as when there is crew, its not so bad. Easier access to the cabintop mainsheet winch, traveller, etc. Sitting on a cockpit seat the wheel is right there. The view forward is not as good though. Another thing I do is when tacking I feed in exactly one turn on the wheel. So in the heat of trimming the jib at the end of the tack getting the wheel back to center is pretty easy. I admit to being stupid and not wearing my PFD most of the time. Not too bright but I am working on it....;)
RT

CaptDan

Member III

And, tangentially, YOU reminded me of one other item - lazy jacks. They help a GREAT deal hoisting/dousing the main.

I don't know if you recall, but a few years ago you sent me the 'cookbook' for making a set, and every time I use mine I think of good ol' Glyn. :egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"