• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32 vs. 35 for singlehanding?

ref_123

Member III
Harken dodger-killer?

Hi all,

we have one of those Harken mainsheet setups. Cannot say we are unhappy about it - it works OK and if you ever need to crank it up you can do it on a primary winch in the cockpit.

But the setup like this makes a dodger an impossible thing to have. So, if you want to stay dry at all times - stick with the original setup and have yourself a dodger.

Regards,
Stan

jhaberli

singlehand 35-2

The majority of my sailing is singlehanded on my 35-2.

I would suggest the following:

1. 2 speed self-tailing winches near the wheel

2. autopilot

3. lazyjacks

4. Have your slip well cushioned!

Once setup, the boat is easy to singlehand. It's so much fun to sail!

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Doing the Impossible...

But the setup like this makes a dodger an impossible thing to have. So, if you want to stay dry at all times - stick with the original setup and have yourself a dodger.

Hmmm....
All of us with aft travelers or bridge deck travelers that also have dodgers might commence to wonder how it is that we are "doing the inpossible."
:confused:

Loren
:)

CaptDan

Member III
Hmmm....
All of us with aft travelers or bridge deck travelers that also have dodgers might commence to wonder how it is that we are "doing the inpossible."
:confused:

Loren
:)

Let the commencing begin.:p

Seriously - I've seen all manner of mainsheet/traveler locations in a variety of boats with dodgers. Though one might wonder the extent of benefit a helmsman receives from a dodger located 9 feet forward of the wheel, certainly those sitting beneath the rig (or inside the cabin with open hatch) are happy dry/cool clams.;)

That said - I recall a dodger equipped Cat*lina 30 with a hideous mainsheet arrangement. The system was virtually non functioning. Upon close examination, the reason had nothing to do with the dodger - and everything to do with the way the line was reeved through the blocks.

Can you say: F O U L E D ?:rolleyes:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Emerald

Though one might wonder the extent of benefit a helmsman receives from a dodger located 9 feet forward of the wheel,

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

I've often been amazed at just how much splash protection I've had at the helm despite the large gap from my dodger aft to where I sit. That said though, I think there have been a number of times where I have ducked to get a neck full/ear full while a crew member who was much closer to that cozy dry place just laughed. It's OK though - got even when one said crew member fell into 37 degree water this past February for the first sail of the season - he was OK and luckily we are able to laugh about him sailing in his long underwear that day while half his clothes were hanging out to dry in the balmy 30 something air temps with 20 plus knot winds - it really was a nice sail in the final analysis :devil:

ref_123

Member III
The lure of impossible

Looking at the medium heights of the splashes that we get over the topsides I think a dodger will give a good protection for the person at the helm. It's just my impression though - I may be wrong. Also, the somewhat obstructed view may be a bit of an issue, too. Still, I want one - eventually.

But with the mainsheet setup that was discussed before, the one that has a cam cleat right on the block that is attached to the traveller - how do you rig a dodger? My imagination fails me. If someone gives an idea - will be happy to listen...

Regards,
Stan

CaptDan

Member III
I've often been amazed at just how much splash protection I've had at the helm despite the large gap from my dodger aft to where I sit. That said though, I think there have been a number of times where I have ducked to get a neck full/ear full while a crew member who was much closer to that cozy dry place just laughed. It's OK though - got even when one said crew member fell into 37 degree water this past February for the first sail of the season - he was OK and luckily we are able to laugh about him sailing in his long underwear that day while half his clothes were hanging out to dry in the balmy 30 something air temps with 20 plus knot winds - it really was a nice sail in the final analysis :devil:

U badboy, David.:newwink:

Yeah, I secretly envy dodger owners. I'll get one eventually, it's just that I've managed quite well without one all these years. I might spring for that and an 'Otto' next season. Or - maybe just the 'Otto.':)

BTW - and offtopic, I want to thank you again for that needle valve tip you provided last winter. Me olde A-4's been running in top form thanks to your helping me find that microscopic fuel demon.:egrin:

Have good sailing this summer!

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Steve

Member III
Pic says it all

Everything is back to cockpit, dodger is handy, life is good! Only reason to go forward might be to adjust topping lift, lazy jacks, set the reef point, sail-ties, main sail halyard, sail cover etc.. or set an anchor or simply sit and watch a sunset!

Backing the the 35-3 is an art but very predictable as long as you maintain aggressive "speed" and work with the port prop walk she will go where you want. Try and baby it, and you will go where the wind/current go. I see many timid captains back their love into a slip so slow and careful only to get cross-wise, pinned or perhaps hit another boat, it's painful to watch! Then listen to the excuses...or the spousal colorful metaphors etc...;)

Attachments

• DSCF5127.JPG
    DSCF5127.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 80