• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Nexus Instrument Repair

Tom Greaves

Member I
Last year my Nexus anemometer (Classic 2000 series) developed some stickiness in the azimuth rotation axis. I made a modest attempt to disassemble and clean the unit but quickly retreated when it seemed like I risked destroying the unit.

After a little googling, I found that service and support for all of North America for this now obselete line of instruments is provided by ComNav Marine Ltd. in Vancouver, British Columbia. A phone call to them left me believing that no spare parts are available and that my best option was to
replace the unit with the new NX2 version -- only $575.45 or so. Yikes.

A little more googling and digging and I found the very helpful Achillefs Koukas at Chicago Marine Electronics http://www.chicagomarineelectronics.com who was able to repair my unit for $95.00. I'm very happy with the work and the price. The service was fast -- eight weeks later the anemometer is spinning freely and reporting what seem to be reliable results.

Nexus Marine, once part of Silva is now an independent organization. I'm so grateful that their dealer Chicago Marine Electronics looked after me, even if the distributor let me down.

Full disclosure -- I have no business relations with any of these firms save being an occasional customer.