• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Grease'in them winches

Quiet Magic

Member II
The old barbrossa winches on our e-27 are started to need a good grease job. so, i was wondering if white lithium grease is an ok form to use or should i use something more specialized?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use the Lewmar brand of winch grease, mostly because the local WM has it on the shelf.....

Loren

jkm

Member III
White lithium would be just fine. It's a very good quality grease and water resistant

John

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
That is fine for the bearings, but use WD40 on the dogs. The grease is too heavy for them

No. Don't use WD-40 for lubrication. It's a Water Displacement solvent (W.D.). It's not really a lubricant, and it evaporates, leaving no lubricant behind.

You're correct that you don't want to use grease on the Pawls, or Dogs (those are the little comma-shaped things that engage the teeth around the outside of the drum, or sometimes they're in the drum, and engage a cog around the shaft of the winch). Grease can cause those pawls to stick, which will allow the winch to spin backwards, or not allow it to spin at all (depending on whether the 1st-speed pawls or 2nd-speed pawls are sticking).

Instead, use light oil for the pawls (like 3-in-1 Oil - comes in the little red and white cans).

ref_123

Member III
Light oil on dogs

Dogs are those small comma-like metal pieces that make the drum rotating only one way. They also have small springs inserted into them (is the name is sprawl? don't loose them!!!).

Instead of using WD-40 though I'd recommend a light oil (Winchard makes a good one, but any generic sewing-machine oil will work). WD-40 evaporates too fast.

Regards,
Stan

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Lithium not recommended

I think I must respectfully disagree with John's earlier response about lithium based grease. It is true it is water resistant, BUT, lithium is also a metal. It is a metal that is low on the list of noble metals. Therefore, it enhances corrosion in a saltwater environment. I know that they say to never grease your bronze thruhull fittings with lithium grease for that reason. Of course, the winch doesn't sit below the waterline, but corrosion never sleeps (sorry Neil Young), even above waterline. I would buy a tube of winch grease & leave the lithium grease at home in the garage.;)

Keith
E-33

P.S. Don't forget to cut a piece out of a cardboard box to sit over the winch to contain any errant pawls, springs, screws, etc.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
There are many different grades of wheel bearing grease. I have found marine grease to be very much stickier than standard automotive grease. That said I like Mobil 1 synthetic grease or Amsoil synthetic grease. I have not used them on winches however they seem to work fine on everything else, even the marine stuff. A buddy of mine uses Krytox, a NASA space grease on everything since he gets it "free" at work. Its very good but ridiculously expensive for everyone else. RT

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
greased

Steve,

I'm sure the corrosive effects are much less in your environment. I still don't know if I would risk it, though. All I know for sure is it is a big problem for us saltwater crocodilles!

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Grease is the word

All,

I like 3-1 oil on the pawls. Last time i used SAILCOAT on one of the sets of winches and 3-1 on the other. Seem to get the same performance. I used bearing blue grease on the bearing part.

Just my $1.00 worth,

Good Luck,

jkm

Member III
Steve

It's great how a simple question can get such varied responses.

Keith is right about lithium and it is very low on the list of 'noble' metals.

Reality is that almost all grease has something added to it to lengthen it's life and make it adhere. Silicone grease has silica in it and regular old wheel bearing as Nate suggested used to have mica in it, may still.

In your environment you probably don't have to worry about it.

I buy sewing machine oil in the gallon jug for routine lubrication.

Best

John

Quiet Magic

Member II
All,

Thanks for the many responses! Im more than likely just gonna go with lithium and do regular checks of the winches so the "C" word dosent start taking hold.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Silicone grease has silica in it and regular old wheel bearing as Nate suggested used to have mica in it, may still.
Actually, I use a tube of lewmar "winch grease". Mostly because I don't know better about grease, and it's only a few bucks for many years worth of grease.

Shadowfax

Member III
I'd use the Lewmar grease also, after all if it has their brand on it, so its designed for their use, which is greasing winches.

I agree with the comment that WD40 evaporates quickly, but the person who told me to use it was the Lewmar guy at the boat show. They seemed to be more worried about the dogs [pralls] gunking up then they being lubricated with something that will attract dirt, break down, etc. Sewing machine oil [3 in 1] sounds like it might work, but is it designed to take the heat [sun] and water, especially salt water?

FWIW I use the WD40 and have never had a problem YMMV

jkm

Member III
Sewing machine oil has a very high temperature rating. WD 40 I believe is kerosine in an aerosol can.

I use it not only for general lubricating but also in water recirculating pumps that are exposed to heated water at 160 degrees running 24/7.

I was turned on to it by the engineers at UCLA who use it to lubricate the bearings in turbines at UCLA's many physical plants. All I know is that it is very highly refined.

John