• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E36C Prop question

Shearwater

Member I
Hiya gang, hmmmm how to start this one. We have a Max Prop that the prop nut backed off (cotter pin not installed?) Fortunately it came off in the divers hand and not while the shaft was spinning. Here lies our problem, we need to buy a replacement fixed prob as a back-up and to get her to the yard for a haul-out to re-install the Max Prop (we do not want to try and install the Max Prop in the water as many parts might get lost). Does anyone know the size and pitch of a fixed bladed prop for the E36C.....Thanks:esad:

Dave and Kelly
S/V Shearwater E36C
Benicia, CA

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Ooh! I can't offer info on the 36C, except that it's at the top of my list for the "next boat"! :egrin:

If you just need to get to the boat yard it would be a lot cheaper and just as effective to use your dinghy "on the hip" to tow the prop-less boat to the yard. ("on-the-hip" means the towing vessel is secured with spring and breast lines to the quarter of the towed vessel). A 10-horse outboard is suprisingly effective at towing an 8-ton boat. You just need two people (one in the dinghy, one at the helm of the towed boat), fairly calm weather, and extra room to slow down. You use the outboard for forward or reverse thrust, and primarily steer with the helm of the sailboat (although turning the engine all the way to one side or the other can help to pull or push the stern when maneuvering in tight quarters).

Good luck! And let me know if you get frustrated with the problem and wish to dispose of that boat! ;)

Nate

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
I have a Max Prop on the 35 III I purchased this spring. While bringing it home, the overpitch on the Max Prop caused overheating at 2000 rpms. The original two blade fixed prop was in the boat so I thought that I would put the old prop on and worry about the Max Prop when I got home.

When a Max Prop is installed, a lot of the thread on the end of the shaft is cut off to accommodate the max prop's cone. In my case, there isn't enough thread left to install the fixed prop without redrilling the shaft for the castle nut/cotter pin.

Towing/pushing may be a better solution.

Steve Murray
E 35 III 222
Charlottetown, PEI

Blue Jeans

Member I
I have an Ericson 3C 'Blue Jeans' in the Seattle, WA area. It had some years of non-use and had sank at the dock. Due to electrolysis the two bladed prop was only a hub, the data stamped on it said 16X11R. The boat is now functional, although not complete. We have installed a 16X11R three blade sailboat prop that may be a little over proppped, but seems to work OK. We ran the numbers on the internet prop calculators and talked to the prop experts at several local prop shops. I think a prop sized from 16X9R to 16X11R should work.

Shearwater

Member I
WOW, thanks for all the great info. I dove (dived ?) the boat myself and looked at the shaft, and the shaft has not been cut, so we are lucky there. Looks like we should be able to install a prop in the water with no prob (crossed fingers). Byter thank you very much for the info on the prop specs, we'll try and get one purchased her with -in the next week. :egrin: