• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Teak Companionway Hatch Repair

Dean

I am rebuilding this hatch for a friend. A Columbia 32, We dont have to do ours because we own an Ericson. But anyways, The hatch consists of multiple teak boards 1/4 by 3 inches X 39 inches. They were glued to a piece of teak ply 1/4 inch which rotted . Any ideas regarding the glue that will attach the replacement ply.

Thanks again,
Dean

John Moses

The Fix:

There are basically two options for the glue to use:

1.) use an epoxy such as West Systems (easiest)

2.) resourcinol glue by WeldWood (It is used in exterior plywood)

Make sure to use a good grade of plywood as well, such as marine or at least exterior grade.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
For an allweather application like that you would traditionally use resourcinol (sp?) glue. If using teak, be sure to clean both surfaces well with acetone to remove the natural oils before glueing up.

I understand there are some good outdoor polyurethane glues that are water activated also, but don't have any personal experience with them.

Good luck!

Kevin Wright
s/v Wright Off

Walter Pearson

Member III
Originally posted by Kevin Wright
For an allweather application like that you would traditionally use resourcinol (sp?) glue. If using teak, be sure to clean both surfaces well with acetone to remove the natural oils before glueing up.

I understand there are some good outdoor polyurethane glues that are water activated also, but don't have any personal experience with them.

Good luck!

Kevin Wright
s/v Wright Off

I had a chance to get resourcinol at a good price when one of my favorite lumber yards was closing it out, but the chemists at work talked me out of it. I'm not so sure it's any more hazardous than anything else - some people can be irritated by epoxies and certainly some people are densitized to the isocyanates in the moisture curing materials. As a result, I can't say much for or against them, but I have done some work with the moisture
curing polyurethanes.

I was looking for the lightest construction for a companionway hatch and decided to make it out of teak plywood on either side of Nomex honeycomb. I tried many adhesives, but Gorilla Glue gave the best stiffness-to-weight ratio. I have not completed the project yet, so can't claim long-term success, but I found several things about this adhesive that has benefits.

1. No mixing.
2. It expands during cure to fill voids and inaccessible areas.
3. The low viscosity makes it easy to transfer into disposable syringes and inject it into joints, etc. I've used it to reclaim teak furniture found in the dumpster by drilling into the broken joints and injecting the adhesive.
4. It seems to have good adhesion to teak and mahogany.

Solvent wipe as Kevin suggests.

On the negative side, the expansion can make a mess if you're not careful and may require a lot of trimming after cure. I usually spend a lot of time masking off on either side of the joint beforehand to minimize this work. I usually use a screw to plug any injection holes and install teak plugs later.

I have not done impact testing, but I suspect these adhesives are somewhat more brittle than the toughened, high quality epoxies. (The lower quality, 5-minute epoxies are brittle also.)

One note of caution: The cheaper brands of the moisture curing polyurethanes may not be good in structural
applications. I tested Gorilla against a cheaper brand and found over three times as much overlap shear strength on teak-to-teak bonds. I would wear skin protection when using and a suitable mask when cutting and sanding.

Walter Pearson
'76 E27 "Mejagay"

John Moses

Just a comment on Resourcinol, the powder is incredibly irritating if breathed in to the lungs (use a dust mask). I used the stuff when building my 12' racing boat.....the stuff sticks like no tomorrow, but must be clamped in
order to be effective. In fact, it works so well, that it is special order here in CA due to its percieved toxicity.

LOL

As for Gorilla glue, the stuff does foam up in the joints and is a bugger to remove if there is a lot of it, so be tidy. My only question on it would be resistance to U.V. rays where exposed in the joints?

Lenny

I used it( Gorilla glue ) on the teak tracks for my sliding hatch and new drop boards. It's been two years now in the Arizona sun and the glue holds up fine. If I could just find a finish that would do the same..........

Lenny