• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cockpit speakers

admirals barge

Member III
hi all
dalliance
74 35 II # 325
its time to install cockpit speakers. i was thinking about installing them either inside the storage compartments under the winches using small marine box type speakers. or between the storage compartnent openings. after looking around they are mounted anywhere and everywhere. would appreciate any and all comments about placement and brand.

thanks
greg

happy sailing !!!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We had cockpit speakers on our E30+ when we bought her, and have since gotten rid of them. Part of the problem was that they were box-like in shape, mounted on both sides just at the stern end of the cockpit seats--just where our feet tended to be when using the winch on the jib sheets. If we were to install cockpit speakers, I definitely would insist on flush mounted and in a location where they will not get in the way of feet, jib sheets, docking lines, etc. Also, keep the speakers away from the compass, or get non-magnetic ones (there's a term for them).

We actually found that our cabin stereo is good enough that we can hear it very well in the cockpit both when relaxing in the evening or during the day while under sail, so we actually didn't need the cockpit speakers. The only time we can't hear the cabin speakers is with the engine running, but I don't know if cockpit speakers would be any better then.

So, in summary, you may want to re-consider whether you need cockpit speakers if you have a good cabin stereo. If you decide to proceed, give careful consideration to keeping them out of the way of being bumped by traffic or snagged by lines. Finally, get good ones that won't interfere with your compass or be affected by UV rays or occasional water coming into the cockpit if sailing in rougher weather.

Just my thoughts....

Frank.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
When I did mine, I really did not want to cut into the cockpit combing - and was concerned about the security of the boat (water-wise) should it get pooped, and have two huge speakers cut into the combing...

So, instead, I used two Bose 151 weather proof speakers, with hanging brackets to sit on the corner rails in the cockpit. I had installed weather proof plugs on the aft quarters, and ran the speaker wire back to the stereo system - so they were on the 'back' channel.

When we wanted them (typically on anchor or at the marina), we would hang them and plug them in - otherwise, they would be below in their storage bags.

I saw similar installations by other owners - and it seemed the best way for my boat...

//sse

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
So, instead, I used two Bose 151 weather proof speakers, with hanging brackets to sit on the corner rails in the cockpit.

//sse

Great minds think alike. It also has the advantage of only having to buy one set of speakers. I got a machine shop to make up a stainless steel bracket that fits the bracket holders on the speakers, and hang from a standard WM rail clamp.

My initial reaction to your first suggestion, Greg, is the water that tends to accumulate in those storage areas (the drainage of which is in an old thread). Keeping the speakers sealed from that would probably be impossible. As an alternative, you could cut holes in the fibreglass each side of the aft footwell of the cockpit for flush speakers, where there would be plenty of room, although it would involve extensive wriggling to hook up the wires at the back (it is possible for the not seriously overweight). You could also do the same in the main footwell, but then the speaker back and wiring on the port side would be in the quarter berth. Both situations, of course, are extra holes in your boat, and large holes that could be a real issue if you are thinking of taking the boat offshore.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
P.O. installed ours in the coaming behind your legs at the very back of the cockpit (accessable through the aft lazarette). I have replaced them since with the same cheap marine (polyplanar?) that were there to keep from drilling new holes. It's a great place when you aren't moving, since the cockpit well reflects the sound around and up- not quite as fantastic under way... it's a little loud at the wheel, but not bad. We don't get pooped on the Chesapeake- so water isn't really a consideration for us. I've seen speaker boxes in cockpits and don't like them, I don't like extra stuff getting in the way. Although Sean's set-up sounds pretty sweet!

Chris

Howard Keiper

I use Sean's method too....permanently mounted internal, and removable, hang-able on the outside. I usually place the outsiders on the cabin top beside the main hatch. They plug into jacks I installed just under the lip of the main hatch, port & stbd., controlled by the fade control.

howard keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I really like the pushpit seats in the newer Catalina's, etc. You have seen them, the top rail is pushed out in a hoop at the back corner of the pushpit on each side of the boat, then a seat of Starboard, etc. is fastened to the lower rail. Makes for a nice seat, comfy with great visibility? What does this have to do with speakers? Many of the boats I have seen with these seats have small box speakers mounted underneath the seats and the wiring in the stainless. No fiberglass cutting, out of the way, easy to get to, etc. One of my plans is to have the pushpit on my E38 so modified and then thats where the speakers are going. Two birds with one stone. RT

Mindscape

Member III
Rail mounted speakers

I mounted a set of box speakers to the stern pulpit on my 32. I ran the wires through the pulpit so that there are no wires showing and then hung the speakers with a stainless u bolt. I used smaller outdoor box speakers and they've worked great for 4 seasons. I use the fader to run the sound to the outside or inside speakers. I couldn't see cutting holes in the cockpit for many of the reasons all ready mentioned. I like the result as the speakers are out of the way, no wires can be seen and they are always available, with no holes in the cockpit.

admirals barge

Member III
speakers

thanks all for your input. it seems that mounting the speakers on the rail is a good way to go. i was looking on ebay and i found what they call wake board speakers. they are water proof speakers with rail mounts. they were 130 dollars. but it gives me the idea of buying plastic antenna rail mounts and mounting box speakers to the mounts.

thanks again for the input

s/v dalliance
74 35 II # 325
wilmington,ca

Kevin Johnston

Member III
speakers

I kept all my speakers on my Ericson 27 below. A CD-player, 4 speakers, 1 subwoofer and two amps. The sub is mounted below the cockpit floor in the original wood cover just behind the engine compartment. It rocks! You feel the music without compromising the intregrity of the cockpit and it waterproofness.