• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Folding Wheel

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I was in my local WM store the other day and I saw the new display with the Lewmar folding wheel. What a nice addition. I think I might need one of these soon:egrin:. Anyway, my current wheel is 36" with no dish. I have always thought I would get a larger wheel if I ever upgraded. Does anyone have the 40" wheel on their 35-3? If so, any problems?

Now I need to get my buddies at WM to match Defender's price!

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
West Marine just price-matched Pyacht.com on a boomkicker I bought for my E27. I did end up paying CA sales tax and it had to be done online not through a local West Marine store for some reason.

Mindscape

Member III
Larger Wheel

Tim - I had a 42" wheel on my 32-3 when I bought it and replaced it with a 36" wheel (which is the original size wheel). The reason I replaced it was space. Moving around the wheel was difficult and inconvienent. The smaller wheel provides more room and seems to have more 'feel' to it. The larger wheel would of provided more leverage but we have not really noticed it. All in all we are much happier with the smaller wheel. I can easily reach the wheel from either corner when steering which might be another consideration. I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 36" wheel. It would be to hard to steer from the corners of the cockpit.
My $.02.

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Tim,
I have the 42" wheel on the 35 III I bought this spring. Not much of an issue getting around it, even in a hurry. Great mechanical advantage and very quick response - great in following seas. Nice for sitting on the coaming too. It has the leather wrap, an option I wouldn't have gotten myself but after years of stainless, it's appreciated especially in cooler weather or while wearing gloves.

Steve Murray
E 35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just finished up the changeover from the factory 36" standard wheel to a 44" in picked up at a recent swap meet. The idea is to let either of us steer from sitting on the side of the cockpit. Mechanical advantage was never a problem, altho I do worry now about added wear on the AP due to increased "flywheel effect."

It is a little harder to step around, but so far we like the change.

You really might want to make a cardboard template, 44" in diameter, and check the clearance of seat hatches, etc, before buying that new wheel. But, you knew that. :)

Best,
Loren
O-34 #8

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Tim, we have the Lewmar folding wheel. Love it. Very handy when guest's are on board while I am cooking on the barby. I can't remember what size it is, but both my wife and I feel it has been one of the best improvements we have done on the boat. You do need to remember to unfold the thing before you back out of the slip!!! If you want, I can measure the thing for you but will not have that info before Monday the 9th.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More on replacing our original 36" wheel with a 44". This is a photo taken right after the ss pedistal guard was reinstalled. I had about 10" added to the legs to give height for a chartplotter above the compass.

Of course while the guard was off I cleaned up the corrosion on the flat aluminum plate and painted it. And, of course the old AP had to be reinstalled... and now there is a wiring chase down both sides of the guard - wiring for the Garmin is on the other side. One project always leads to several others!
Yup, the red epoxy-angle-plate needs to be painted white; this will be another fall project. ;)

Be reassured that the clearance from the wheel rim to the T-cockpit perimeter is a lot greater than this picture angle would indicate. Like I said before, do try a mock up to check for locker opening lid and seat edge clearance, however.

In our situation, I already knew that the 44" wheel was optional on our model, and had even visited aboard a sistership with that wheel.

Loren

Attachments

• NewWheel&GuardWeb.jpg
    NewWheel&GuardWeb.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I measured, I haggled and I bought. Got a great deal from WM. Turned out to be less than Defender's sale price. Should be here in a week. Just in time for next week's race.