• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Rig Tuning

Ericsean

Member III
Any tips on what the rig tuning should be for a 1980 E-38 SD?

It appears to my eye that my rig has either no rake, or may even be a little forward.

I was going to move back a little, but a seasoned friend said that since I already seem to have some weather helm, to sail as is for a while.

this is my first experience with a double spreader rig. I was surprised that the intermediated shrouds & fittings are lighter than the lowers.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I do plan on local club racing.

Thanks Kevin Padden

Bueller Doug

I know nothing!

Repeat, I'm just a goof who screwed up in the past so this is not gospel. On a trailer boat I once had I thought it would look cooler if I let the mast lean back a tad when I was setting it up. Launched it, and had absolutly NO control. From this experience I am led to believe helm can be adjusted by the fore and aft angle of the mast. DO NOT take a guess and adjust anything. Notice how different the backstay adjustment makes the helm and that is barely a tweak.

wurzner

Member III
I would hang something from the top aft end of the mast and measre the plump line to the mast. I believe my 38 has about 8" of aft rake when measured this way. I have a hydraulic backstay that I use to removing headstay sag in heavier winds. When sailing hard to the wind in decent winds, the leeward standing rigging is still pretty firm.

This seems to work well for my boat and sail configuration.

hodo

Member III
Rig Tune

Hi Kevin, there is a pretty good description in the DOCS section under Specs and Documents. Go to E 38 and scroll down to mast tuning. Remember, the tuning you do at the dock is a starting point. You will need to go sailing in a STEADY wind and check the rig on both tacks at the same apparent wind angle to fine tune it. make sure it stays in column, side to side at these angles.The leeward shrouds will be soft, and a bit loose, depending on the wind strength. Take two other people with you to make the adj. easier. Good Luck, Harold

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
This is a question I have had for a while. I have messed with the rig tune on my E38 and still have doubts. I have a basic rig tuning DVD from Brion Toss but it is just that, basic. I went through the rig and tweaked it here and there. I tried to induce more pre-bend in the mast but the mast proved too still to really get that to happen. I have set up the shroud tension(s) with a Loos gauge and noted the tensions. I have yet to check the actual mast rake but the mast stays in column as it is setup. The lee shrouds will go slightly slack, not enough to whip around when sailing in 12-15kts. In 20+kts the lee shrouds go slack enough to load and unload, visibly. I do not know if this is okay or not. Since the tension(s) are set just slightly higher than recommended I am making the assumption that this is normal. I suppose that it would make sense that if the shrouds are set correctly at 12-15kts then they would be slacker at 20+kts. So is this normal? Any recommended books? RT

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rig tune

Guys,

Do a search here, there are several very long posts going into quite a bit of detail on the topic (I know because I wrote a few of them).
Take a look and then contact me with specific questions.
Cheers,

S