• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

basic wiring question

dc27

have boat, need time
i'm replacing the ancient stereo in the cabin of my E27 with a new Pioneer car stereo with CD/MP3/etc. the new stereo comes with two power leads, one for "constant" and the other for "switched," i guess depending on whether your car's ignition has an ACC position for accessories when the motor is off.

for my boat installation, do i just use the "constant" lead (note: it is a heavier gauge wire than the other) or just the ACC lead, or somehow both? fyi, the current stereo is tied in to the boat's main power panel (other switches for running lights, etc), which is cut off from power when the battery isolator switch is off. my intent is to just tie in to the same power lead, i'm just not sure which wire to use coming off the stereo. (the installation sheet is predictably vague.)

all advice appreciated, as always!

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Constant is for memory etc

There are two, one is the constant which does the memory etc, the other is the when the car is generally switched on.

Short, you could connect the constant via a fuse to the panel without going through a switch, then you could connect the other acc to the panel through whatever breaker you are using for the stereo.

You could then turn the stereo off with the switch just like you do when you turn off the ignition on your car.

Or you could wire both to the switch and leave it on, your call.

Or you could connnect both the breaker/switch turn it off when you left the boat, and reset the clock and all the stations when you came back to the boat.

Guy
:)

jreddington

Member III
You mention that the "constant" wire is a heavier gauge wire than the "switched" wire. This is like my CD/radio. In this arrangement, all power to the radio including memory, clock, and sound come through that "constant" wire. The smaller gauge wire (switched) is simply a signal wire that allows the radio to turn on or turns it off when you interrupt power to this switched wire.

On my radio this full functionality, includes maintaining clock time, radio presets, what CD track you were on, last volume, and even remembering if the radio was on or off (If you go to battery "Off" with the radio on, when you turn battery back to 1, 2 or both the radio will come on by itself, just like in your car). I notice that there is even a small delay. Turn the battery selector switch to Off and the radio stays on for a second or two.

To make it work this way you connect the "constant" wire to either the Battery 1 or Battery 2 input posts on your battery selector switch (you can also connect to either the Battery 1 or Battery 2 positive terminals but I find it neater to do this wiring behind the electrical panel). Make sure to include the proper sized in-line fuse on this circuit.

Connect, the "switched" wire to the load side of a breaker within the panel. On my '84 E-28 I have a breaker labled "Radio" which goes to my VHF. I use the one marked "Tape Deck".

Drawback of this arrangement is that no matter whether you select Battery 1 or Battery 2 on your main selector switch, the radio will always power itself off only the battery you connected it to. Normally not a big deal with only occassional use unless you have a honking big stereo system. Also, when working on the electrical system, remember that even when you turn batteries to "Off" that line will still be energized.

I use a similar arrangement for my automatic bilge pump. I disconnected the "Stove" (I don't have Propane) and "Bilge Pump" breakers from the main bus behind the breaker panel. I wire to those breakers from the Battery 1 input post on the battery selector switch. Threfore the line side of those breakers are live no matter what the selector switch setting is.

Then I go from the "Stove" breaker load side to the "auto" lead on the pump. The manual lead is wired to the "Bilge Pump" breaker. So long as I leave the "Stove" breaker closed, even when I put the battery selector to "Off" I still have power to that "auto" lead. If I want to manually start the pump, I press the "Bilge Pump" breaker.

Other option is to wire both leads to the "Tape Deck" (or your equivalent). breaker on the panel. Advantage is that the radio will be powered off of whatever battery you have selected. Disadvantage is that it will go "dumb" every time you move the battery selector switch to "Off".