• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 38 Steering

Ericsean

Member III
Some friendly advice, which I learned the hard way.

Modify the box in the quarter berth which hides the port side steering pulley to be removable. Then inspect the connections and tighten, using lock nuts.

I had to do this after the pulley fell off, resulting in the cable dropping off the quardrant, while delivering my new E-38, 1980, hull # 3, from Montauk to Fire Island Inlet. A trip of about 80 ocean miles. We left port at 7:00 am & about 2 hours later, after rounding Montauk in 5-6' sloppy seas with a 15-20 knot NE wind.

PS , check your emergency tillers. When I put mine in place, the vertical post did not rise above the binnacle. When I put the smaller pipe through the hole, it was too long to clear between the stern pulpit & the binnacle, even after removing the wheel. So I couldn't steer with it. No hacksaw on board. I had to attempt to steer with a winch handle through the hole. Obviously my 1' lever arm did not make for fun steering in the ocean, going downwind.

Our local heros, USCG came out & gave us a 3 hour tow back to Montauk.

After removing the teak box, we made repairs in 30 minutes.

Now more fun, since I had previous commitments, had to reschedule the delivery for the next Monday, (day after fathers day). Found a marina, since I was afraid to leave it on the hook unattended for 5 days. When we came back at 6am Monday found a mangled bow pulpit which had gotten caught on pole at the dock in a crazy storm.

Any advice where to get a replacement pulpit? Also, a cheap 3/4 tri radial spin, since the PO lied to me regarding the new spin he recently bought which turned out to be an ancient 1/2 oz radial head. And a good spin pole? Any retired e-38 spin sailors out there who feel bad for me after my tale of woe?

PS Surveyor didn't see the bad steering situation either.

By the way, as usual my worst day of sailing turned out to be great. Noboby got hurt, we met lots of great people especially the USCG crew, whose only advice to us after they put us on the fishing dock at Montauk, was to point us to a bar down the block.

I guess I shouldn't have changed the name!

Captron

Member III
Name Change

Obviously you didn't get the renaming ceremony quite right. Did you sacrifice a virgin on the foredeck?

Anyway, surveyors are real good at trapping the trivia and missing the significant. After 4 or 5 years of owning her, you'll likely have found most of the problems with her.

I found our emergency tiller to be quite the experience too since you turn the post left to go right. Glad I didn't have far to go with it.

:egrin:

Lawdog

Member III
bow pulpit

I was also in need of a replacement bow pulpit for my 1983 E 38, and eventually found Railmakers, Inc.
864 West 18th Street, Costa Mesa CA. 92627
Phone 714-842-6506 Fax 714-842-8066 They are also at www.Railmakers.com They were around 650 vs local pulpits custom made for over 1200. They are one of the original producers for Ericson.
Neal Weinstein
Enterprise