• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 Electrical Panel.

Ericsean

Member III
My new (for me) 1980 E 38, "Rettsie", hull # 3, has what looks like the original electrical panel. Doing some knocking around the systems, I am assuming that the panel is merely switches, not breakers. Just wanted to confirm that, but I guess I'm hoping someone will tell me those switches are actually breakers. Seems odd to me that Ericson wouldn't provide some circuit protection.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Should be breakers-
Just as an FYI, there's a plumbing and an electrical system plot scan in the docs section of the website. In case you are chasing electrical demons.
Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sometime in the late 70's, Ericson made the transition in vendor specs for panels -- from switches and fuses for each circuit to breakers. AFAIK, the earliest ones may have used a push button breaker for the reset. By the mid-80's they went with the still-used plastic one piece "toggle" breaker/switch.
I probably missed some iteration in the transitional era, but am sure that your panel did indeed have a breaker/fuse for each switched circuit.

This should be easier to see when you inspect the rear of the DC distribution panel.

Keep us posted...
... and do unplug from AC shorepower before you insert any fingers into the wiring back there...
:rolleyes:

Loren

Last edited:

Emerald

I have the original Ericson panel on Emerald, and they are breakers. They look like toggle switches. She was built in 1979.

Hope this helps.

dwigle

Member III
Yours is probably the same as mine was, two panels one AC and one DC, with pushbuttons. Mine was definately breakers, at least on the AC as we would have to reset occasionally.

I thought we had an early 38, #8, but #3 definately beats that. Wonder how many other one digit 38's are around.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

Ericsean

Member III
Panel

Thanks for the feedback. By the way Loren, too late with the disconnect advice, I already got a tingle, but I kind of liked it.

My panel are all pushbuttons on the DC side, and silver toggles on the AC side.

I assumed that they are all just switches, since there is no amperage rating on them, and a lot of the circuits have in line fuses near the load (i.e. water pump)