• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Binnacle cover patterns

ref_123

Member III
Hi Vikings,

could someone please share the patterns or any other know-how on the binnacle cover construction for their noble vessels? (Advice to go to a local canvas shop does not count as a know-how).

Thanks in advance,
Stan

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hey Stan, I used my old binnacle cover as a template. Unfortunately I tossed it when I was done with it. But the basics for creating your own are to cut out a piece that matches the top and sides of your wheel and then goes straight to the cockpit sole(Aft piece). Do the same thing for the binnacle frame(Fore peice). Cut two rectagular pieces that go from the cockpit sole up the port and stbd sides to a point where both the front and back pieces start to curve. The tricky part is figuring out the top peice. The first photo shows the shape of my top piece. I would pin all the other pieces together and then use some very light weight, low stretch material to figure out the top. Leave enough material to sew the seams when joining the Sunbrella. I guess you could also measure along each of the top seams and then make a pattern for the top piece.

I killed the Brother machine in the picture sewing my sail cover. I have since bought a 1963 Singer 600e which is an awesome, all metal gear machine.

HTH

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 95
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

ref_123

Member III
Thanks

Thanks Tim,

we have one of those sewing monsters from SailRite (when it works it sounds like a small diesel engine), so there is little risk to kill it over this project.

Unfortunately, our old cover is no good for a pattern as we replaced the binnacle stand and instrument panels. That top part is the unknown - everything else seems to be quite simple. So, will try to go with your advice to pin it all together and do it by the ear... er... eye?

BTW, did you ever put a logo on any of your Sunbrella covers? What paint is OK to use?

Thanks again,
Stan