• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Windlass Wiring

Erich

Member II
We've decided to put a windlass on our 1988 E34. In trying to plan the wiring routing, I've hit the great unknown are under the moulded V-berth lockers. I'n not sure what is on either side of the large locker under the middle of the V-berth. It appears that there is a plywood bulkhead on the forward side of it. How about the aft end? I'm wondering if I can go underneath the middle locker. Or is it best to put the wiring inside of the middle locker somewhere and drill through the bulkheads (?) in-between. Has anybody ventured through this area for a similar project?

Cheers,
Erich:confused:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
windlass wiring route.

Erich - My windlass is mounted on the deck aft of the anchor locker. I didn't follow your wire route at all. I connected to the house battery with a circuit breaker mounted on the face of the aft cabin berth. From there I went into the hanging locker and up to the wire run over the galley cabinet and forward into the v berth above the vinyl overhead.

I did have to cut an access panel into the aft berth to get to the back of the circuit breaker.

All wiring is #2.

EGregerson

Member III
windlass

I'm trying to figure a solution to the windlass problem. I don't want to mount the windlass on the anchor locker lid; I don't think the 2 small hinges will hold the load. Also the 7" depth in the locker isn't sufficient to allow the rope to lay. So it looks like the aft of locker location is the ticket. And to use a horizontal windlass to avoid intrusion into the V berth area. But the windlass' I've seen drop the rode straight down; I'd like one that will feed the line back out the front so i can lay the rode into the locker. Are there units out there that will feed the line back out the front? or should i build a mount to elevate it, with an opening for the rode to go forward?

Erich

Member II
Windlass and wiring

Thanks for the advice Tom. I checked out the routing while on holidays and ran a pull string for the big wire later on. The windlass is supposed to be delivered this weekend so we'll see how it all fits.
For EGregerson, I am getting a Quick Rider R712 windlass. It is a vertical windlass with a combination chain/rope totally open gypsy. With that I'll tail the rope off of the forward end of the windlass. The windlass will be mounted totally inside the locker at the aft end with just the gypsy sticking out through a cutout in the anchor locker lid. I have fashioned a stainless bracket that runs iaround the inside perimeter of the anchor locker just under the lid. Once it is all installed, I'll post a picture.
Regards,
Erich

andy beach

Member I
Erich, We look forward to pictures of your windlass project. We are planning on installing a winlass this winter and we had the same idea as you to install the windlass inside the locker. Good luck with your project.

Erich

Member II
Hi Guys,

The windlass is installed. Well almost. Ran out of time to cut the hole in the locker lid. At this rate I'll be finished just in time for ... winter.
Attached are a couple of pictures.
Regards,

Attachments

• windlass1.JPG
    windlass1.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 97
  • windlass2.JPG
    windlass2.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 103