• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bilge Pump E34

Shadowfax

Member III
I arrived at the boat this weekend to find my bilge pump cooked. The style of pump on my "88 E34 is not the submersible type, but has a hose pick up in the bilge, the pump itself is mounted on the bulkhead in the engine compartment. I assume the motor itself is burned up [frozen] and that the diagram part is still OK. Has anyone had an opportunity to replace this type of pump? What's involved and most important, where do I get a new pump? This is not a West Marine item.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Bilge Pump

Paul- If its a Par or Jabsco remote pump, WM does carry them. What brand and GPH or GPM is it? Go on-line and take a look at model #'s 110033, 257204, or 270084. Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, That's about Par....

My '88 came with two of these pumps. One was designated for the bilge and the other, even though also having the pickup mounted in the bilge, was designated for the shower. Each has a switch panel with ruby light and a float switch.

The two pumps were worth about (retail) $500. total when new. One of ours had a busted diaphram and after finding that that model had been superceded by a newer one, i replaced it with a PAR 37202 series 2.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|299222|84462|315208&id=85077

Here is a listing from one of many vendors that sell this. Note that they reference the model our boat came with: "New and updated version of the famous 37202 - the best selling small bilge and shower sump pump in the world."

I was rather pleased to see that Ericson had put these in -- plus a honkin' big manual pump with the handle mounted beside the helm position. This is something you *never* see on cheap boats.

I have heard of motors failing on the original models after many years, and would note that pumps/parts often show up at swap meets and on eBay. Whether it is better to rebuild or replace after a couple decades is a personal decision. I figured that it is my time or my money either way, and one tends to equal the other at some point... :rolleyes: Of course in any given month, I may have more of one to spare that the other!

Cheers,
Loren

:cheers:

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
Thanks guys I knew one of you would have this at their finger tip. I decided that as the motor was $75 and the motor and pump is $125, to go with the pump motor rather then just the motor and have the pump fail 3 weeks from now.

I called Defender as their price was $125, no tax and called Port Supply to find same at $137 plus sales tax. Oddly Defender said they had one, but on digging they did not have one. They called the manufacture who said they where waiting for parts Back to Port Supply who matched Defender and I am in business

Thanks again everyone

Last edited:

tramp

Member I
Pump

I have a 1990 E34 and one of the pumps mounted on the went out also. It was a Shureflow. The plant is in the town right next to me so I took the pump over to them to look at and they gave me a new one after a few days. The pump was 10 years old and they stood by the product. I call that VERY GOOD customer service.

Dave Moore