• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Barient winch parts

Bud H.

Member II
While out sailing here in the desert of Eastern Washington on the Snake River today one of my winches decided to self destruct. We were beating to wind and just finished tightening up the jib, pulled off the winch handle, and the top plate of the winch decided to go for a swim. Gone, disappeared.
As it happens I will be in Anacortes this upcoming Saturday to join some friends for a week cruising. Does anybody know a good shop to have my winches serviced at and even more importantly some place that might have a replacement for the part I lost?
I think these winches are not original to the boat (1971, Ericson 35”). You can see in the picture on the left the missing piece.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF0480.jpg
    DSCF0480.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF0479.jpg
    DSCF0479.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 237

JMS

Member II
Snap ring and top washer. That's a shame since the winches look good, otherwise.

1. Keep an eye on this -> Barient 27ST (photo below) on ebay currently with 2 bids @ $41.00. Auction ends tomorrow 6/11. Barient 27ST on ebay

2. Hutton-ARCO in Australia has some Barient spares. Barient parts. You have to be very specific when ordering parts from them -> photos are always a good idea. Also, even if the part isn't listed it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have it.

3. The most complete archive of original, factory Barient documentation is at the C&C Resource site: Barient winch docs. The drawing/service instructions/parts list for the 27ST's are there.

Attachments

• 6984_1.JPG.jpg
    6984_1.JPG.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,111
Last edited:

Guy Stevens

That is an easy fix

All that you are missing is a round plate with a hole in it. Should take any good machine shop less than about an hour of time to repo it if you give them the one that you have.

The circular snap ring spring thing is available from Arco. (God help you dealing with them!), or can generally be found for little money at the smaller chandlers.

It won't have the patten numbers on it, but do you really care?

Guy
:)

Last edited: